Late Night Pick-Up

Start from the beginning

In one motion, Emma snapped her in Darlene's direction. "They died in a house fire." she said with almost no emotion then directed her attention back outside like she was reminiscing on the good or bad times.

"Oh I'm sorry." Darlene was speechless after that, she had no idea what to say. Could Emma be the cause of the house fire, only Emma would know. Darlene wasn't so fond of the idea of asking the little girl how the fire started because she might not like the answer. "I'm sure they're at peace in heaven."

"They're in hell." Darlene was shocked by her words. "They were mean to me and careless about what they did. It's all their faults. They knew not to mess with fire, but they were too stupid to care. They caused these marks on me and I hope they're rotting in hell because of it."

"Oh." It was all she could say or wanted to say.

The sky became pitch black along their drive to Darlene's house and still the only car on the road was the one they were in. Emma still stayed silent looking out the window at the houses and trees as they passed by them.

"I'll always be here with you." Emma sung in an soft voice, it was beautiful yet eerie at the same time. She began to hum after singing those words. "Watching you closely." the words seem to go perfectly together. Darlene tried not to pay attention, but at the same time she was curious. "Even when you think I'm gone, I'll always be there watching you." the humming stopped immediately and Emma acted as if she didn't sing anything at all.

"Did you make that up yourself?" Darlene asked pulling onto her street.

"Yep." she answered. "Just made it up." she smiled sweetly over at Darlene and stared at her intently for a few moments. Emma looked away, fiddled with her fingers and hummed the song she was singing just moments ago. The more she hummed it, the more it seemed to grow an evil feeling to the song.

Darlene let out a sigh when she saw her house in the distant. She decided it was best to stay quiet and not speak for the next few moments of the drive. Emma still continued on with the stupid tune.

When they stopped in front of Darlene's house, Emma stopped her humming and stared at the house. She didn't move a muscle, just observed the one story house that sat yards away from the car. Trees loomed over the house giving it a creepy look, but other than that, the house was decent and lavish looking.

"Come on." Darlene motioned for Emma to walk with her into the house. The woman grabbed her things before getting out of the car.

The little girl jumped out of the car and followed closely behind Darlene. Emma instinctively grabbed onto the woman's hand while Darlene fished around in her pocket for her keys with her other hand.

"Gotcha." Darlene smiled with the silver keys that shined from the moonlight in her hands.

The door creaked open showing a teenage boy and girl in the living room watching some television. They looked over at Darlene and the little girl as the walked their way into the house.

A tall man who appeared to be Darlene's husband walked into the living room with a huge smile on his face that mirrored the other two people's facial expression in the living room.

"Dinner's home!" the teenage girl cheered, licking her lips.

Emma looked at Darlene's hand to see if she was carrying any food. She wasn't.

Sudden realization hit Emma like no tomorrow. Emma was their dinner. Before the little girl could run or scream, Darlene tightened her grip onto Emma's little wrists and wrapped her hand over the girl's mouth before she could even muster up a sound.

Everyone laughed menacingly at Emma's failed attempted to escape. Darlene snapped the girl's neck making it look easy, which in reality it was extremely hard.

The teenage boy and husband skinned the girl carefully, leaving some bits of flesh with the meat for anyone who wanted some. While the teenage girl and Darlene cooked the meat that came from Emma's body, making sure to cook it to the right wellness they were used to.

"It's done." Darlene said, cheerfully. The hungry family sat around the table, waiting eagerly for the mother to toss the food onto their plates. They all attacked their food like hungry animals.

"She tastes so much better than the last one." The boy commented, licking his fingers.

When they were done eating, Darlene took down the bones to the basement along with the other past victims.

Suddenly, a familiar humming noise echoed off the walls of the basement. It was the same tune the girl was singing when Darlene brought her home in the car.

"I'll always be here with you." the girl's voice rung throughout the dark basement. "Watching you closely." the voice became more menacing. "Even when you think I'm gone, I'll always be there watching you." the humming and singing stopped. The sound of a girl giggling filled Darlene's eardrums, no matter how hard she tried to scream and run, she couldn't. "Darlene, don't leave." the voice of Emma sent chills down Darlene's spine. When she felt movement come back to her legs, she ran up the basement stairs. Before she could reach the very top, she was dragged back down the basement.

"Mom?" Her daughter came down the stairs, searching for her mother who had been down there for thirty minutes. "Where are you?"

The laugh of small Emma bounced off of the walls. She ran up the stairs to get to the door, but the door wouldn't budge. "Where do you think you're going?" Emma's voice grew demonic. A force dragged the daughter down the stairs just like her mother.

One by one, they came down the stairs, only to be dragged down to the bottom, trapped in the basement as the house caught fire. The house collapsed, killing one of the family members as it crushed them. While the rest burned to death in the tragic house fire.

Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed!