Chapter 18

The kiss was more of a peck than a proper kiss, but it was still something. I pulled away from him, keeping my eyes closed for some seconds, thinking. I just kissed Kai Smith, I thought. The girls at home are probably going berserk.

I looked down at him, blushing.''Sorry,''I mumbled.

''It's okay,''he replied and we fell into awkward silence.

***

After a while of some more dead silence, we heard beeping from outside. Looking towards the exit with curiosity, I rose to my feet and walked to the exit of the cave. Crawling through the handmade exit, I looked round, searching for the silver parachute.

I spotted the red beeping light on the ground and hurried to the silver container, awaiting me. I took it in my arms and popped it open. There was a note inside.

You call that a kiss?

-C

I shook my head and chuckled slightly. If we weren't in an are with people who want to kill is, I would've been laughing and blushing. But unfortunately, we're in the arena.

I got up and walked back to Kai. Wen I entered the cave I saw him staring at me.''What's that?''he asked.

I walked up to him and kneeled down on his right side, then opened the smaller round container.''Just soup.''I said and took the spoon that was laying inside the other container. I picked it up and Kai tried to take them from me, but I stopped him.''Let me,''I said and he nodded. I took some soup with the spoon and fed him. Why I did that, I do not know.

After a while, he started laughing slightly.''What's so funny?''I asked.

''It's just, I remembered the first day I saw you,''he told me with a slight smile on his face.''Your hair was in two ponytails not one.''he said.''I saw you skipping in the school hapilly, on the first school day,''he continued.''You looked so happy,''he added. He was laughing too much, though.

I touched his forehead and wind at the hotness.''Kai, you're burning!''I informed him, bt he seemed unfazed.

''And then, in music class, the teacher asked 'Who knows the valley song?''he continued.''And your hand shot straight up,''he laughed again and shook his head lightly.''And from that day on, I watched you go home. Every day.''he said. Not creepy at all!

I was in a loss of words and after I didn't say anything, he did.''Say something, please.."Kai said.

''What do you expect me to say?''I asked. Honestly, I don't know what he expects. For me to fall in love with him after he pours out his heart to me? We don't even know if we're getting out of here alive, and he's trying to win me. Now is not the time for that.

But for the sake of our lives, I have to pretend.''Come here,''he said and opened his arms for me. I really felt like I had no other choice, so I laid down in his embrace and he ran his hand through my hair, taking it out of it's ponytail. It felt quite nice, actually.

But he just had to ruin the nice moment.''Even if I don't make it-''

''Shhh.''I cut him off.''Stop.''I added and he didn't say another word.

***
The peace was ruined after some time when we heard Dareth's voice over the speakers.''Attention, tributes!''he said. I sat up from Kai's warm embrace and listened carefully.''There will be a feast tomorrow, at the Cornucopia.''said Dareth and I rose an eyebrow, even though nobody could see me.''This will be no ordinary occasion,''he added.''Each one of you needs something. Desperately.'' Dareth said and I looked at Kai to find him already looking at me. I know what we needed. A medicine for his leg. And he knew what we needed as well. Dareth chuckled.''We plan to be generous hosts,''

I then spoke out loud.''The medicine.''I said and took my bow and arrows then stood up.

Or at least tried to.''Skylor, you're not going for the medicine,''he said, looking at me seriously.

''I am. You need it,''I said and tried to take my arrows, but he held them and he had a strong grip.

''I'm not letting you risk your life for me.''he said.

''I will.''I said, but he kept gripping the arrows.

''I won't let you,''he said.

''You would do it for me,''I said and stopped trying to pull the arrows from him.''Wouldn't you?''I asked, looking in his chocolate brown eyes.

He didn't have an answer for that, or at least didn't want to admit I won. Instead, he had a question.''Why are you doing this?''he asked, shaking his head a bit.

I don't know what came over me again, but I leaned down and pressed my lips on his again, this time keeping them there longer. I thought about all the people that are watching right now-Amber, dad, Jay, Nya....

I broke the kiss and looked in his eyes.''There's no way I'm letting you go now.''he said.

''Kai..."I said softly.

''Please?''he pleaded.

And then, I gave up.''Okay,''I said with neutral expression.''I'll stay.''I said and laid down on his chest again, with him running his hand through my messy hair, untying the knots in it.

And that's the end of the chapter. I know, nothing interesting really happened(except the kiss😍😍), but we just had to get through that. I promise, the next chapter there will be action! I hope you enjoyed that chapter though. And as you see, it's a week update! I hope you're not disappointed! Thanks for reading! See you on the weekend! Stay awesome!😘❤️