thirty

It was the final day of school

It was the final day of school. The bell rang, signalling the start of summer and the end of the school year.

"Okay! So, Liam, since you're the new alpha - "

Liam cut Stiles off. "I'm not an alpha."

Stiles nodded and sarcastically smacked his own forehead. "Right, I forgot that Kim's the real alpha. You know, since she's stronger than you."

"Shut up, Stiles. Alpha or not, Liam can still beat your fragile skeleton-looking ass," Kim retorted, smacking the back of Stiles's head.

"Ow! What the fuck, Kim? You didn't give me time to rephrase myself. I meant that Liam's an alpha-in-training and you're his...luna. I think that's the right term."

"Well, I'd have to kill an alpha," Liam retorted.

"And this isn't a fictional novel about an aggressive alpha and a weak-ass human. Lunas are technically anchors. And have you seen Scott? He's like...Bambi," Kim added.

"I take full offense to that," Scott replied.

"Okay, anyway, Liam! Since you're taking over, the most important thing you can remember is that Mason is always gonna be the one who's there to save your ass all the time." Kim shot him a look. "A-And Kim, your very beautiful and scary girlfriend."

"Well, not all the time," Scott said.

Kim shot him a look. Scott opened his mouth like a fish out of water, putting his hands in the air.

"I-I meant about the Mason thing, n-not the beautiful not. Y-You're very beautiful, Kim, very beautiful."

"Most of the time, though - about the Mason thing," Stiles clarified. "Which is why - " Stiles handed him his aluminum baseball bat. " - I think you're gonna need this."

Mason took it and looked at it. "Uh - I don't play baseball."

Stiles nodded. "Right, neither do I. It's... It's not the point."

Mason gave him a confused look. "Okay... thanks..."

The trio began walking away. Kim was in the middle with her arms linked with the boys flanking her sides. Mason was swinging the baseball bat around with his free hand, while Liam was holding Kim's backpack for her.

"Love you guys!" Stiles shouted.

Kim snorted. "I guess it's up to us to save Beacon Hills in the future."

"Maybe it'll be a normal year," Mason said. Liam and Kim looked at him. He sighed. "Yeah, I didn't think so either."

Liam stopped walking, holding Kim in place with his hand. He angled his head to listen to something. Mason and Kim shared a concerned look with each other.

"Unit Four, repeat - you're telling me there's a body in the woods?" Sheriff Stilinski questioned.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. There's a body in the woods," an officer replied.

"There's a body in the woods. Stiles and Scott are heading there right now," Liam explained.

Kim and Mason sighed.

"If it's a mermaid, I'm going to fucking scream," Kim mumbled.

Liam smiles at her. "Even a mermaid can't compete with your beauty."

"You know, mermaids are actually carnivores with razor-sharp teeth," Mason said.

"Did you just compare me to a cannibal?" Kim asked.

"Okay, let's leave before a body shows up at the high school and the woods," Liam said, pushing the two teenagers to Kim's car.

There would always need to be a protector in Beacon Hills. The pack would always grow. Within five years, Scott would be back with an even larger pack. He would protect his friends until his death.

[A/N: my other teen wolf fanfic that follows after this chapter is up! It's called The Hungry Mermaid]