p r o l o g u e

p r o l o g u e

lowercase intended

the woman knew that when her daughter was born, she'd be capable of extraordinary things

the woman knew that when her daughter was born, she'd be capable of extraordinary things. after all, she and her husband spent a lot of time, money, and energy making it so. their daughter would be all they ever wanted.

powerful.

their child would have power, unnatural, superhuman power. she would make her parents' dreams come to life.

they would have a freak of a daughter, just as they planned. and their little freak would help them with whatever they wish.

whatever that may be.

so whenever the woman's water broke, she didn't dare go to the hospital, knowing the doctors and nurses would ask way too many questions if their daughter happened to show signs of supernatural abilities. and besides, they already had a friend who was a doctor waiting for the day the baby was to come.

a few hours later, a baby girl was born with unnatural purple eyes. eyes that looked as if they were holding a galaxy within them. it was a feature neither of the parents had and they both knew it. they smiled malicious smiles as they held their "precious" daughter.

"what are you going to name her?" the doctor asked, smiling at the family. the woman looked down at the child in her arms, studying her for a moment before deciding.

"nova," she declared. "her name is nova."