c h a p t e r o n e

c h a p t e r o n e

n o v a

lowercase intended

nova sighed as she looked over her homework in the small cafe

nova sighed as she looked over her homework in the small cafe. it wasn't that she didn't know how to do the work -- it was, after all, only reading and deducting, which she could do when she was five. nova just couldn't concentrate on her homework.

she had just gotten a new job, one she had desperately needed. she was running out of money and needed to pay her rent soon or she would be evicted. and she most definitely did not want to live on the streets again, especially when she was only fifteen.

nova sighed again and ran her hand through her black hair. she was tired of always having to worry, but there was nothing she could do about it. it wasn't like she had parents to worry about these things -- they were both dead and she had no relatives. she had no one to help her pay for her apartment, no one to help her pay for food, no one at all. she didn't have friends; they always ended up leaving, but that was partially her fault for pushing them away. she was completely and utterly alone, and that was how she liked it.

but, sometimes, she wished she had somebody, anybody, who cared about her. somebody she could tell her problems to, somebody who cared enough to listen. but, alas, she didn't and she had to deal with everything alone. but that's okay, she was used to it.

even if she wished she wasn't.

after a few more minutes of trying - and failing - to finish her homework, she decided that getting a coffee (and possibly a brownie) would help her focus. ignoring the fact that she should save her money until she gets paid, the teenager put down her book and stood, walking over to the counter while simultaneously pulling a five dollar bill out of her back pocket. quickly glancing at the menu, she walks to the barista.

"hi!" the lady, whose nametag read maggie, said, trying her best to be enthusiastic. "how can i help you?"

"um, can i please get a turtle brownie and a small vanilla latte?" nova ordered, glancing again at the menu to make sure she was saying the right thing. maggie's smile brightened as she nodded, putting her order into the register.

"that'll be 4.97." nova handed the barista her five dollars and watched as she opened the register and gave the teen her three cents back. "here's your change, your order will be ready soon!" she nodded and headed back to her secluded table to wait.

the purple eyed girl didn't have to wait long. two minutes later, her order was called and she was able to get her beloved coffee and brownie. she immediately took a sip, relishing the way the caffine awakened her senses, even if she didn't need it. she sighed in contentment and went back to work.

an hour and a half, two more vanilla lattes, and another brownie later, nova finished her homework and was satisfied with the work she did - it was, after all, completed and that was all that mattered to the freshman

letting out a breath of relief, she leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes, happily thinking about how, now that this was done, she'd have no homework for the rest of the weekend. after seeing how uncomfortable this position was, she leaned her head on her arms, which were resting on the table, and smiled. she loved coffee shops, from the scent of coffee to the aimless chattering to the delicious foods. they were her favorite places to be, but she wished she wasn't always alone.

as if her thoughts were projected out loud, a throat awkwardly being cleared was heard right beside her, making the teen look up at the perpetrator.

standing before her was peter parker, a student in some of her classes. he looked awkward, bouncing on the tip of his toes and messing with his hands, as if he didnt know what to do with them. his eyes kept darting around, not settling on one place until he noticed nova looking at him. then, he gave her his undivided attention.

"how can i help you?" nova asked, not unkindly. more curiously. not many people talked to her - she had a habit of brushing them off. she didn't know anyone who cared enough to get to actually talk to her, to get to know her. so she was wondering why peter parker would now.

"um, it's j-just," he stuttered out, rubbing the back of his neck and taking a deep breath. "s-since you were sitting here alone, we - ned and i - were wondering if you wanted to sit and m-maybe study with us?" he sounded unsure, as if he was worried about nova's answer. she tilted her head in confusion.

"why?" she simply asked. she wasn't saying it to be rude; she genuinely wanted to know. no one had ever invited her to sit with them, and she was curious as to why peter parker and ned leeds would want her to sit with them.

apparently, peter didn't know this.

his eyes widened and he stuttered out, "y-you don't have to, i-i mean we aren't forcing you to or anything. we just t-thought you might want someone to s-study with." thinking over his answer, nova decided that there wasn't really a reason not to sit with them if they wanted her to. and besides, she needed to take her mind off her stressful life.

"okay," she agreed, causing peter's eyes to widen and, behind him, ned's to do the same. she let out a tiny giggle which peter heard and grinned at. he helped her gather her books and take them to the boys' table before setting them down again. after taking a seat, she turned towards the two and let out a small smile.

"where do we start?"

so... how'd i do??

athennah, I want your honest opinion, 100% honesty. be like sam and give me the brutal truth.

um, but anyway, I hope you guys liked it. if you didn't, that's okay too and it would be grest if you could tell me what I could improve on. and, um, that's all.

ciao!