01

Stupid. Stupid! Completely and utterly stupid!

Kaneki has made many mistakes and regrets his whole life but this one was the worse. The fact that he actually thought this charming and beautiful lady who was definitely out of his league had a thing for him, was already a huge mistake itself. Because she didn't really like him for his cute and innocent persona (as she had commented about during their date), but rather for his implacably delicious aroma. She made that perfectly clear when she decided to take a chunk out of his shoulder.

"Shit!" He exclaimed as he is met with a dead end. He always knew that his luck was bad but really? He just had to be unlucky now?

Rize's lowly chuckle snapped him out his thoughts. He gulps, feeling himself slowly lifting off the ground. Her sadistic grin was definitely engraved into the caverns of his mind. The fact that this was the last image he'd see before he died saddened him a little. He would've expected to die on his deathbed, a warm hand intertwined with his. He could've at least seen his best friend one last time before he becomes ghoul feed.

With so much going on in his mind, he doesn't even realize that Rize's kagune had pierced right through his stomach until he felt himself throwing up sticky red liquid. Blood - his blood, tasted metallic and gross, he wondered why Rize thought he tasted so delicious.

"H...h..." Kaneki breathed. He was slipping, and he was slipping out fast. He felt numb all over. Rize was messing with all of his insides, twisting and twirling her kagune inside his stomach. It hurt so much that he couldn't even cry out.

I don't want to die yet!

I still have so much to do!

I still have to go to Takatsuki's book signing!

I...

I still have to see Hide...

Hide....

An image of a boy with blond hair and a small black spot flashed in his mind. Kaneki frowned. Hide would wake up the next morning to see the news about his death. Hide would wake up the next morning blaming himself for Kaneki's death. He was that type of person.

"P-please..."

He had to live. He didn't want to hurt Hide. He doesn't want Hide to carry the weight of his actions.

"Oh, Kaneki-kun~~? You're dying on me already~~? Aw it's such a shame, i was having so much fun with you!!" Rize mocked, licking off her fingers with Kaneki's blood graced all over it. She giggled, "Oh well."

Kaneki's eyes widen. And it wasn't because she gave off the final blow. But because of the sound of dozens of steel beams falling from the sky, crushing Rize beneath their weight, causing her to drop Kaneki. The beams missed him by an inch.

A small smile trickled in his lips. Maybe his luck hasn't gone as bad as he thought it would. He stared into Rize's regretful gaze as she gave off her dying breath. Either way, he was close to giving off his anyways. His eyes travel to a figure looking down on him from the beams. Then the sound of rapid footsteps drumming in his ears. Someone is approaching.

"H-Hide..."