♔ 2.16 Heart of Mine ♔

Posted: November 18th, 2018

♔ Aarav ♔

2.16 Heart of Mine

          I wake up to Jhanvi violently shaking my shoulder. "Wake up, wake up, wake up."

Turning on my back, I speak through a dry throat, "What craving is it this time?"

"None. Just a thought I want to run by you."

Okay... seriously? I love her and all but honestly, it's too damn early in the morning, isn't it? I speak sarcastically, "It couldn't wait?"

"No. Are you up? Are you listening?"

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I force open my eyes considering the excitement I hear in her voice and bite back the burning. "Yeah, I'm listening."

"You said you wanted to be involved in any decision regarding the baby."

"I did say that." Okay, I suppose I cannot be annoyed right now considering.

"So, when Annie comes by today, I want to ask her to be the godmother." I turn my head to her sharply at the welcoming news. She is quick to add, "I know, godmother and all isn't in Indian concept, but I don't know. It just feels right, you know? I spent most of my life here, not in India. And..."

I silence her defenses while sitting up. "You don't have to explain. I get it. And, I think it's a great idea. Annie would love that."

She questions through some hesitations. "You think?"

I assure her, "I know."

She smiles, her shoulder drops in relief. "Good. Okay, that's good."

"Relax now," I say and push aside the covers to get out of bed.

She reaches for my wrist to stop me, "Wait, I'm not done." Once I turn back to her, she continues. "You're forgetting about the godfather."

"Okay, yeah. Who do you have in mind?"

She chuckles, "Who else? You, silly."

"Me?" In my defense, I am still half asleep.

"Yes, you, Aarav." She confirms before her amusement turns into sincerity. "I wouldn't trust anyone else with my child. I know, if anything happens to me..."

"Nothing is going to happen to you," I interrupt in between. I don't want her talking of what if's.

Still, she smiles and insists on finishing her thought, "If anything happens to me, you'll raise her as your own. I know that. Actually, I feel 'godfather' isn't enough. More than her own father, you've been here every step of the way. I'd put your name on the birth certificate if I could, but this is next best thing."