If Only He Had More Time

Uchiha Itachi prayed to every kami for forgiveness for the act he was about to commit, while tying his headband. He already hated himself for it, but it was necessary, for Sasuke, for Konoha, for peace. He took hold of his standard ANBU katana and prepared to depart and massacre the men, women and children of his clan. If only he more time to do something about the coup. Anything would be have been better than this. But the first attack by the clan was scheduled in two days. It was now or never.

Suddenly, Itachi felt a faint pull on his chakra. He activated his sharingan to locate the Intruder, but came out blank. A moment later a hole appeared below his feet, and before he could jump away, he was pulled in.

Landing on his feet, he examined where the portal had dropped him, and was astonished to see himself in an Uchiha clan training ground with younger version of his father, older version of his outoto and a girl his age who judging by her features and the way Sasuke was standing protectively in front of her, was his niece.

Sasuke, apparently having reached the same conclusion as him, bluntly asked their father, "Otou-san, what did you do?"

"What?" Father asked, not expecting a grown man older than him to call him otou-san.

Sasuke, it seemed, hadn't lost his impatience with age and began rifling though the discarded seal papers on the ground.

Itachi didn't understand how he could leave his daughter standed unprotected in his vicinity. Had he been unable to do what was required?

He seemed to recognize the seal used as he was quickly able to arrive to a conclusion.

"Hiraishin with blood seal." he murmured. Then looked his daughter, "We can't go back, hiraishin is only capable of one way travel without a marker."

She looked appropriately distraught at the news. "That means mama, Nanadaime-sama, Boruto, they....."

"They might or might not be born." Sasuke evidently didn't believe in coddling his children.

Father, who had been able to gather his wits by then, said, "Are you implying that you are my son from the future?"

"Yes." Sasuke replied simply. "What year is this?"

"3rd year of 3rd Shinobi war."

"Sarada and me are from 35 years in future, from what I can gather, Itachi is from about 10 years from now."

"Itachi?" Father looked at him, recognizing they name of his currently toddler son.

"Hai, tou-san." he replied, trying to sound normal, which was difficult, considering that he had expected the next meeting with his father resulting in one of their deaths.

Father stared at him for a long time, before sighing, "We should take this to the Sandaime."

Sasuke jerked at that before forcibly relaxing himself. "Only the Sandaime. Call him for dinner at your house. I don't want any word of this reaching Danzo's ear."

He knows, Itachi concluded, trying to stop himself from panicking.

"Why?" Father asked.

"He ordered the massacre of our clan, when I was eight. Sarada and me are the only Uchiha in our time."

Judging by Sarada's sharp intake of breath, she wasn't aware of this.

"I don't trust him because of obvious reasons. And frankly I had never expected to see him again after I killed him when I was seventeen. I don't trust myself to not go for his throat if I see him."

"I see." Was Father's grim reply.