Chapter 9 | zows

Elena's P.O.V

After the little moment I had with Ken, I returned to my room and sulked. Yes, you heard me right. Not less than a few hours ago I was bubbling with undying determination and courage, but it soon went down the drain the moment i stepped inside my room as reality came crashing down.

I. Am. Expected. To. Go. To. A. Deadly. Island. For. The. Sake. Of. Acheron.

Alarm bells are furiously going crazy inside my head right now. "Why can't I have a normal life?!" I screamed throwing the damned file at the wall. I didn't even realise i was crying until hot tears fell onto my arms. They were burning my skin. I slumped down the door and sobbed uncontrollably. I let all my frustration and heaviness out.

After what felt like an eternity, I wiped my tears and got up, only to hear a soft Knock on the door.

"El, are you okay in there?" Ken asked softly. When I didn't reply, she slowly opened the door and looked at me with pitiful eyes.

"Are you crying again?"

"What other choice do I have Kendra?"

She sighed and took my hand in her warm ones. "El, no matter what I'll--

"I know Ken. I need some time alone to figure this all out, that's all. I'm fine." I might have sounded rude but I really needed some time alone.

Ken looked disappointed for a split second but quickly covered it up and smiled whatsoever. "I understand love. Take your time. I'll be here if you wanna talk alright?" I nodded and with that, she left. Now that I was alone, I started to replay all the events that took place in my life the last few days.

I was starting to wonder why my life was always in the gutter when I heard another knock on the door.

"Kenn, I really need--

"It's me Elena."

I froze.

Grayson? What's he doing here now?

I whispered a soft come in and noticed that gray wasn't alone. A beautiful girl around 20 with twinkling blue eyes followed after him.

"Hi. You must be Elena. I've heard a lot about you. Is it okay if I join too?"

She's so pretty, her blue eyes compliment her light tan skin so well. "Um yea, sure." She smiled warmly and sat on my bed. Gray made himself comfortable on the couch.

"So...have we met before?" I timidly asked her and prayed that she doesn't notice my red puffy eyes. Exposing my vulnerable side to a total stranger is the last thing on my to-do list right now.

"Totally forgot to introduce, my bad." Gray said while raising his arms in surrender. "El, this is my girlfriend Jaycee, and Jay, this is my sister Elena." Girlfriend? I didn't know he had one.

Bah! As if you'll ever know! He does not give any damn about you Elena, otherwise why would he have run away?

The bitter voice inside me snapped. I swallowed any cold feeling and smiled at Jaycee, who returned it. "So...Jaycee..."

"Just Jay please."

"Right. Jay, how long have you known my shady brother? Not being rude or anything, but he's a coward. You'll be good with someone who's not actually a scaredy cat." I said, clearly wanting to file him up. I quirked my eyebrow in an attempt to seem serious, not failing to notice gray stiffen. What she did next surprised me. She laughed uncontrollably. Even gray seems shocked.

"As much as I would love to answer your question, we have something really important at hand right now hun." She said while grinning like a cheshire cat. I looked at gray in confusion but he refused to meet my gaze. "Gray, what is it this time? What is it that's so important that you'll come see me? Is it because guilt gnawed your insides? Oh maybe it's the fact that I'm a weakling and that I need protection that drove you here Isn't it, brother?" I wasn't angry, no not at all. But what creeped me out was the odd calmness in my voice, almost like the calm before the storm.