Chapter 1 | Being a ZAAR

"I'm sorry grandpa, but I can't do it." I firmly gripped the heavy book in my hand, trying not to tremble and drop it. "Why not Elena?! stop being a child for zaar's sake! That brat surely succeeded in disgracing you with his philosophies!" his eyes danced with flames as he growled at me.

"Stop it please....i don't know how my dad was... Nor his species... But please stop rebuking him with each and every opportunity you get... I-I don't know why you hate him so much... But he's still my father!" I half yelled, but my voice cracked at a dangerous rate and tears threatened to spill out of my swollen eyes. The air felt thick as pa looked at me with disgust. The staring contest seemed to last forever. He just stood there, waiting for something I quite can't put my finger on.

I didn't take any chances and took the gifted opportunity. I quickly dashed out of the library and started running through the never ending dark, long corridors. ~*It's okay to cry Elena, everything's going to turn out just fine, Have patience.*~ My inner conscious tried to reassure me. But right now, nothing seemed to work. I hate being a zaar, I really do, as much as I hate my grandad. He's the head of our species, known as the great master of ZAAR.

I really wanted to escape zaarut and go somewhere else, peaceful and quiet. But I'm stuck in here forever, with people interested in torturing humans. And the worst part is that I have to call them family, my family. A really deep and affectionate word that don't belong to these beasts. Even mom doesn't support me. Pathetic, I know. Only if I could bump into that one special person who can understand all of my feelings and take me away from this land full of evil creatu-

*Bump*

I was so lost in thoughts I didn't notice anyone in my way. "Sorry, didn't see you com-

"Is that really you Elena!???" A high pitched squeal tore my eardrums.

It took me a while to register that the person I bumped into was my cousin from afar. Instantly a smile broke out on my face. "Hey Kendra! how have you been? Long time no see." I couldn't contain my happiness. She is here, like really here!

She will always have that effect on me.

Kendra is the only Zaar who supports my views and right now all I need is a shoulder to cry on, and it's right in front of me! How lucky can one get?

"Don't just stand their grinning like a fool, come here and give me a hug!" Ken giggled. She's certainly the old clumsy Ken I know. No sooner had I reached out to hug her, than she enveloped me in a tight embrace, or should I say, a suffocating wrap. "H-hey Ken, you're cutting off my air supply." I said in between her embracing session.

"Oops, Sorry about that pumpkin." Okay, she touched a sensitive spot. She called me that on purpose cause she knows I hate it, like for real. "Okay, we have to make some serious rules here. Rule number one : you're not allowed to call me pumpkin. Rule number two : you can't make fun of me. Rule number three : you're not allowed to frustrate me." I said while pouting to agitate her. She hates when people pout. She justifies that a girl with pouting lips is no different from a duck's a**. Okay, weird I know.

"Okayy fine baby girlll, but please stop making that ridiculous face, it's seriously getting on my nerves." she sounded really irritated. Voila! mission accomplished. "Haha... You're the Same old Ken darling." I said between my giggles. "Of course why wouldn't I be? After all, I'm the cousin of a well known pumpkin who happens to be a pathetic zaar." she bit her lip in an attempt to control her laughter. Okay that's it. I elbowed her in the ribs and she fell down with an enormous crash.

"Ouchhh... Ellenaa... That hurt real bad gurll!" she cried while rubbing the part from which pain erupted. "Oops... Didn't exactly mean to do that. Anyways serves you right for messing with me." I tried to act serious but lord alone knows how hard it was to keep it that way. "Okayy... Damn girl... I surrender at your feet." Ken bowed dramatically. We both fell into a fit of laughter afterwards.

That's when she looked me straight in my eyes. "What's wrong Elena, your eyes are red and puffy. Have you been crying?" her strong voice somehow turned soft. "I-I was actually... Umm... I-" I stuttered helplessly as I felt a sudden difficulty in forming words. "It's okay to cry Elena. I know why you're crying. I don't blame you for anything that's been happening in this godforsaken place so far, including your fight with grandpa. You know I'm always here for you right? Tell me everything that's bothering you. We'll both together find a way out of it. I promise. But please don't shut me out. Let me know your problems, I may be able to help you." She looked at me with eyes filled with love and pity.

I know she's the only option so far, so I can't shut her away. I need to tell her everything. I need to share my feelings, I want to lighten the burden on my shoulders. "Okay, but not here. Can we please go up to my room?" I looked around briefly just to make sure we were not being followed or anything. "Sure thing, let's go."

I led her through the long halls towards the stairway. My mind was both exhausted and excited. Excited cause my only supporting family member is here. Exhausted due to all the pressure and pain I went through the last 2 weeks. I led her through the stairs and reached my room. I slowly turned the knob and swung it open, but was startled to see someone I was least expecting to stand right in front of me, in my room.

💢💢💢💢💢💢💢💢

Sorry, this chapter is a bit short. But no worries, I'll make it a bit lengthier next time. If you have any ideas regarding the cover of this book, please let me know. And don't forget to vote 😉