Chapter Two - Colt Colton

"Are you sure you have everything?" My mother asked me for the billionth time since arriving at the airport. "Your passport? Your boarding ticket?"

"Yes, mom." I exhaled, already tired of her constant need to check up on me.

"If you forgot anything that you'll need before the holidays just tell me and I'll send it to you." I nod my head, acknowledging her. "Your flight is boarding at 5pm. Do you want any money for food or anything?"

"No, we get an inflight meal."

"Well, here's $20 just in case you change your mind." She cooly responds, shoving money into my bag so that I couldn't refuse it. "I love you, and I'm doing this for your benefit, please remember that." My mother reminds me before pulling me into her arms and squeezing the life out of me.

Don't cry, I think to myself.

"I love you." I respond, swallowing the lump in my throat, keeping the tears caged within my ducts. "I'll miss you, Goldfinch. Look after my mother and tell my lovely step-siblings that I love them and that I'll be back soon to give them my life anecdotes."

"Ha-ha." He sarcastically responds. "Come here." He calls, forcing me out of my mothers arms and into his for a quick hug. "I'm going to miss our weekly book club."

"Me too." I sigh, not fully understanding that I'm leaving until now.

"I've put enough books in your bag to last you all the way to November." Goldfinch says to me. He really is the father I never had the chance to have.

"Thank you. I best going. It's 3pm and I still need to check in." I say to the two of them, pulling myself out of my mother's and Goldfinch's grasp.

"Okay, well I love you."

"I love you. I'll see you soon. Please don't cry, mom. You're the one that's sending me away remember." I joke, attempting to lighten the mood. Kind of. It is the truth.

"You're right. I'm sorry. Have a good time with Wanda, call me as soon as you land."

"I will, bye." I call as I begin my incline up the elevator towards the check in desks, my suitcase dragging behind me. Leaving my mother and step-father frantically waving their hands in a goodbye wave.

...

I've travelled by airplane more times than I can remember. I'm used to it now. The taking off; the popping of the ears, the shift in air pressure, it wasn't new to me. However the young man sitting next to me clearly didn't share my experience. Great. Just what I wanted for a 5 hour flight. A leg shaker.

"It's okay you know." I say to him, attempting to soothe him. More for my benefit than his. The last thing I need is for him to disrupt my flight.

The man, no older than 20, has short, dark hair and pale skin. His face is round yet his jaw is firm. Clad in a dark, plain t-shirt, jeans and burgundy converse, he turns to face me. Allowing me to see that his eyes are a dark shade of blue.

"What?" He gapes, clearly taken aback by my interference.

"Travelling by plane, it's not scary." I elaborate.

"How do you know I'm scared?" He asks, his hands and legs shaking out of sync with one another.

"Your aggressive leg shaking is quite a give away. Plus, I haven't yet seen you blink, your fingers are white from the aggressive grip clasp you have your hands in and I'm pretty sure I haven't heard you breathe since I sat down." I further explain.

"Oh. I didn't realise I was that bad." He falsely laughs, nervousness still apparent in his actions and voice. "I'm Colt, Colton, I'm 18 and my hobbies include, hiking, soccer and keeping my feet firmly on the ground."