Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

I had three options for dresses to wear. One was one I bought a couple weeks ago, one was a gift from my dad, and the other was a gift but I'm not sure who from. It arrived a few nights ago with a small note that said sorry. I found it strange, but who am I to pass up a dress that is beautiful and in my size.

The top of the dress was a black lace that hugged my chest rather elegantly. The bottom ended about mid thigh. The skirt was black with pink roses all over. It was way prettier than the other two dresses.

I went into the bathroom and looked at all three dresses. I decided to go with the mystery dress since it matched my makeup the best. I slid into my black heels that twisted up the ankles.

"D come on everyone's waiting on you!" Grayson yelled after banging on the bathroom door.

Slowly I opened the door seeing my parents and my brother sitting in the living room. Graysons eyes widened as he took in my appearance.

"Wow, so effortlessly stunning."

"Shut up Gray, this is not effortless let me tell you," I laughed and walked into the living room.

"Look at my babygirl all grown up," my dad sighed as he engulfed me in a tight hug.

"Who knew my sister could actually look pretty," Jarred chuckled receiving a light slap on the chest from Lola.

"You look absolutely beautiful D," Lola smiled at me.

"Your hair is so beautiful, who did it?" My mom asked almost disgusted.

"Mom don't start," Jarred snapped rather harshly while glancing at my mom who stood in the kitchen.

"Well excuse me."

"Mom I'm serious it's her day not yours, act like a responsible adult," Jarred seethed Clearly annoyed.

I mouthed a 'thank you' too my brother and then grabbed my cap and gown.

"Who's ready for graduation," I joked and headed towards the door.

"I'll drive," Grayson said as he opened my passenger door.

"Why must you always drive my car?"

"Because I like it. It rides smooth," he laughed and shut my door.

The drive to the school was short and quiet. Nobody knew if Ethan was actually going to show up. Rumor had it he was just going to have Grayson pick up his diploma.

I walked into the cafeteria with Lola and Grayson by my side. I fought back from looking around the room. I couldn't tell you if I wanted to see him or if I didn't.

"Hey bro," Grayson cheered as he went and bro hugged one of his friends leaving me and Lola.

"Ok don't kill me, but are you and Grayson a thing?" Lola asked as we stood away from the crowd.

"No, I don't think it would even be ethical to date him, I mean I was with his brother."

"But you do like him right?"

"Not that way. I love Grayson I do, but..."

"Not the same way you love Ethan," Lola finished for me. Her eyes held a sad expression, but I don't know why.

"What?"

"I just, I wish you guys could have ended differently. Like on good terms and maybe not even have had to end it at all."

"I had to, I'm in a better place mentally now and physically. I doubt he even loved me in the first place," I pouted.

"Only an idiot wouldn't be able to see the love that boy had for you. He didn't show it well, but he couldn't hide the look he gave you. He'd take you back in an instant."

"Lola why are you telling me all this?" I asked as I started to feel upset.

"Because you're wearing his dress."

"Excuse me?"

"Ethan bought that dress and asked me for your address. He's been bugging me about you even more than you have about him. He's changing himself so you will forgive him D."

"I don't know," I sighed.

"The worst that can happen is you guys don't work out."

"I can't hurt Grayson like that."

"He will be fine, he knows you still love Ethan."

"We'll see. I'll think about it," I mumbled and took my seat amongst my classmates.