"I'm really liking this idea," Melvin said. "Opal, why don't you start calling the neighbors? Maurice and I can go to the grocery store and buy some burgers."

"I can do that," Opal said. She rushed inside and dialed John and Sally Reinhart's phone number. When Sally picked up, Opal told her all about the barbecue that she, Melvin, and Maurice were planning.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea, Opal," Sally said. "John and I will definitely be there. Is it okay if we bring Elaine along too?"

"Of course," Opal said. "I'll see you there."

"See you soon, Opal," Sally said, and Opal dialed a few more numbers. By the time she was done, nearly everyone in the town had agreed to come to the Morrisons' and the Sterlings' little barbecue. Meanwhile, Melvin and Maurice were busy grilling, and Arlene was setting up tables and chairs. Opal went to help her, but it wasn't long before the guests began to arrive. There weren't many people in Clearwater Lake - it was easily the tiniest town that Opal had ever lived in - but almost every single Clearwater Lake resident was going to be in Opal and Melvin's backyard. Opal didn't know how she would handle all of those people.

Most of the people arrived by boat, and before long, the Morrisons' pier was crowded with sailboats. The guests talked amongst themselves, enjoying Melvin and Maurice's cooking. After everyone else had taken a burger, Opal decided to get one for herself, and she found a seat between Sally Reinhart and Arlene Sterling. "Opal, how have you been?" Arlene asked her.

"I'm fine," Opal said. "I didn't expect this many people to come."

"Me neither," Arlene said. "When Maurice said that we were having a barbecue, I thought that it would just be us and maybe a few other people."

"Me too," Opal said.

"It's only because you two are so wonderful at hosting parties," Sally said. "Once I heard that you two were hosting a barbecue, I knew that I had to come, and I'm sure that most of the other people in Clearwater Lake thought the same thing."

"Thanks, Sally," Opal said. She went back to eating as Arlene and Sally talked about one of the Reinharts' neighbors that Opal didn't know very well. Opal instead looked toward the lake, glistening in the afternoon sun. It seemed oddly still, and Opal had the feeling that there was something interesting that she could do with all of those boats sitting next to the pier.

Opal's train of thought was interrupted when Sally's three year old daughter Elaine toddled up to Opal. The little girl made her think of her desire for children of her own, but she pushed these thoughts away and focused on eating the rest of her burger.

After Opal was almost done eating, Melvin decided to come over to sit with her, Sally, and Arlene. "You look a little troubled, sweetheart," Melvin said to Opal. "What's going on?"

"Nothing's troubling me, Melvin," Opal said. "I was thinking that we could make this barbecue a little bit more exciting somehow."

"Isn't it exciting enough already?" Melvin said.

Opal looked back at the sailboats and said, "Maybe we could all have a sailing race."

"I don't know about that," Melvin said.

"I think it's a good idea," Sally said.

"Me too," Arlene said. "I'd love to go sailing."

Melvin shrugged and said, "I'll ask Maurice about it." He left and returned a few minutes later with a defeated look on his face. "Maurice likes the idea too," Melvin said. "I guess we're all going sailing, but don't blame me if this turns out to be a disaster."