S - From the Roof

Hello! I have decided to NOT add Avery to my POV list, for many reasons. He will play out as a shared third-person character on both sides.

Sto

-- -- --

Sure, good idea. We're weakened, tired, and lost; we will run in separate drections. I tucked my chin in, slicing my arms through the air and making pretty O.K. distance down the left hall. A few more yards in, I heard a small squeak - probably Grace's scream. I whipped around.

"Grace?" I whispered, turning in circles. "Grace?" The hallway seemed so eerie, so quiet - to the point that it made me sweat. Silence, anywhere (I would guess) was never a good sign. I walked a few more steps looking over my shoulder, when both it and the rest of my body made contact with the wall, making my neck crack uncomfortably. I turned it back, only to get slammed into the wall again. I felt a surge of magic go into my shoulder and another into my calf, and spontaneously shoot out.

"You worthless Kensington!" Boomed in my ears. I choked a tear out from the pain...everywhere, and grit my teeth in order not to become a weeping mess. I felt myself trip over to my hands and knees, and then flop on the ground, my eyes shut tight. I winced for a few seconds, and felt a foot crash down, but a lot lighter than I thought  - in fact, it seemed to tread over me..and onto someone else.

"STUPEFY!" I heard none other than Avery boom. I curled into a protective ball and held my head as I heard my attacker fall. The tears started pouring out as I regained a sense of tranquility in the silent hall. There was a roof over my head, someone had just saved my life, and  he was standing over me. I slowly got up to my feet.

"Well, would you look at that. You're tough stuff, lass."

"What are you, a pirate?" Lass? Really? I grunted and held onto the wall as my vision blurred a little bit. I felt a sleeve wipe my shoulder off. 

"Anything better than this. Come on," I held on to Avery's shoulder as my vision became worse, and the head throbbing louder. I winced, and felt myself get lighter before all went white. 

--

"Prohibere Sanguinem." My eyes shot open to a numbness in my shoulders and calf. Avery sat on a stool and looked into my eyes as I sat up in shock.

"Where the heck!?" I whispered. 

"Relax," Avery said, "Nobody can see or hear us. This is...my place. We're in the roof." I lazily gazed at the rafters. "You shift your weight in your -"

"Sleep? You.."

"Yes." Avery finished his sentence, in the midst of my cutting-off. I dragged my knees closer to my chest. "Here's your wand." I snatched my wand from Avery's hand, which twitched at my sudden action, and I blushed. 

"Sorry," I snapped, and schooched out onto a rafter, dangling my feet down. "So, what are we over?" 

"A spare room. See the dent in the corner? That..was me falling." I turned to the corner, and Avery was right. I shrugged. Avery twisted around in his stool. "It's about two-one-hundred (9 PM) right now, you were out for hours." I shrugged again. 

"Do you have a copy of the Daily Prophet?" 

"You really are Peridot Kensington." Avery replied. "The Kensingtons were always paper folks."

"What," I snapped, "Do you know about them!?"

"Well," Avery started, "Jason had the best laugh. It echoed throughout the halls." I listened closely, maybe he could even help me.

--

"You really should have been there!!" Avery whooped. I smiled. For once, I actually felt safe in this building.

"So, how did we get up here?"

"I carried you."

"Besides that?" I crossed one leg over the other and raised my eyebrows.

"Well, I had to get you past guards." Avery raised his wand, and a fine dust blew off of my left wrist. It was stained black and green.