Chapter 2: Sidhe

He was tall, over two metres in height, and slender in build.  At first glance he looked human, but closer examination revealed he was anything but, starting with the graceful upward arching eyebrows and large, almond-shaped eyes of icy blue.  Long, shoulder-length blonde hair, nearly platinum in color, was pulled into a neat tail and bound with a golden clasp, decorated with a thumbnail-sized ruby, leaving the sharply pointed ears uncovered.  High cheekbones and finely chiseled features finished the look, so perfect that the man was beautiful, if Finn could use such description on another male.  He wore a beautifully elaborate suit of silvery metal, with scalloped joints that seamlessly fitted into the suit to allow for full freedom of movement.  A streamlined helmet was cradled under his right arm.

     Finn blinked when he noticed slow tendrils of steam rising off the metallic suit, streamers of condensation oozing down over the polished metal.  Wherever this being had just been, it was extremely cold, so much so it was condensing water directly out of the station’s atmosphere.  Oddly enough the steam and the rivulets of water injected a note of normality into an increasingly surreal situation.

     Before either human could comment on it, or further challenge this beautiful stranger and the indefinable look on his face, the heavy door leading into the connecting boom irised open with a hiss.  Finn and Vaughn twisted around just in time to watch a handful of silver suited beings step through the door and into the lounge.

     As several of the silver armored beings took up positions all throughout the lounge, heavy silver weapons of some sort held at the ready, a handful quickly made their way through the chamber, small scanning devices working feverishly in their hands.  Quick and efficient, they were done their sweep in a matter of minutes, returning to where most of them stood by the entrance.  Helmeted heads then bowed together in obvious conversation before one of them reached up and removed its helmet, the seal breaking with a puff of compressed air.

     The helmet swung down and under this one’s arm, just as the first one had it, revealing a handsome face much like the blonde man’s, except more square and masculine, the skin tanned and the hair a light brown.  This man was also a good twenty-five centimetres shorter.  The man paused to hand his helmet to a colleague then stepped forward, drawing a heavy cylinder from a waist pouch as he did.  Before he spoke, however, he made a gesture and the tall, blonde man standing behind them placed a device on one side of the entrance to the lounge.  A second matching device went on the opposite side and, after a gauntleted wave at the closer of the two, a shimmering wall of energy was born between them, completely blocking the opening.

     Nodding in satisfaction, the second man returned his attention to a stunned Vaughn and a bemused Finn, bowing low with the cylinder in both hands.  He then spoke a long, convoluted statement in a flowing, musical language that, while completely alien, somehow sounded familiar before he returned to the upright.  The cylinder was raised to touch him on the forehead then the man gently cleared his throat before speaking again, this time in lightly accented English.

  “Greetings, humans, from the Pax Drakonus of the Sidhe.  I am Deks Rountree and I bring the salutations and respect of our combined peoples.  Please, accept this humble gift.”

     Not knowing what else to do, Vaughn took the proffered cylinder with a smile and a nod of thanks, silently marveling at how light it was despite its size and the intricate shapes and etchings that covered its entire surface.

  “This scroll symbolizes the hope of the Pax that our two federations will work together in peace and harmony towards a greater understanding of each other and the universe.”

     Finn bowed deeply, not knowing what else to do.

  “Such is our hope as well, honored guest of the Directorate.”  He said formally.  “You are well met by our people and you’ve our thanks for this cherished gift.”