GRACY THE GREAT

It was on the first day of my posting as a house surgeon in ward no.11 during my residency rotation that I came to know of the "Sister Incharge of the ward' named Gracy George. Ward number 11 cared for women and child patients of the surgery department. The doctor in-charge of the ward was a surgeon referred to as "Big Boss" by his students and junior colleagues. I met Gracy on the very first day of my ward duty. The name Gracy was apt for her as the nurse's uniform looked very graceful on her.

On my first day at work in , she smilingly exclaimed, "Welcome, my son!!" That electrifying welcome smile had remained in my memory till now. She introduced me to all staff and student nurses and the ancillary staff in the ward and left to continue her work, mentioning that she would join me in ward rounds to brief me on all the patients admitted in the ward.

I gathered all the required information of the admitted patients, prepared my notes and started ward rounds with Gracy. She knew all the patients by their first name. She described their illnesses and the treatment each one of them was receiving. She talked affectionately and smilingly with the patients and their relatives. I was impressed by the way Gracy conducted herself courteously with an ever smiling face, proving encouragement to all those under her care; the empathy clearly reflected in her gentle mannerisms.

She would brief all the residents and house surgeons before the grand rounds conducted by "Big Boss" would commence. The round would be like a procession with house surgeons, registrars, medical students, student nurses and a ward attendant pushing a trolley cart carrying patient records. Gracy would inform about the patients to all and would carry a register with her to note down any changes in treatment plans and special instructions from "Big Boss".

Gracy would talk with pride about her ward and her sub-ordinates.Her ward would always look clean, neat and tidy and would always smell fresh..The ward was decorated with flower vases, photos of chubby, bonny babies and beautiful nature posters that would give it a very cheerful look much against the dull , sober and depressing atmosphere of a hospital ward. This was much needed to pacify anxious patients and their relatives, according to Gracy.

With the grand rounds in progress, she would inform Big Boss about a particular patient as, "Sir, He is not eating properly. He appears to be nervous most of the times." She would enthusiastically remark about another patient as, "Sir, he is fast improving. We feel so happy." Every patient was dear to her.She would reassure a patient as "You will fast recover my son". To a small, mischievous boy, recovering from surgery and planned to be discharged, she would say, " Hey, naughty boy, Go get some fresh air from the nearby hospital park" and would ask his mother to take him carefully. She would crack jokes with some patients and would bring small gifts and home baked cakes and sweets for some. I would often wonder how Gracy manages to be so full of energy ,where does she derive her zeal and swiftness from and how she manages to be ever so smiling and gentle in her behaviour.

Gracy belonged to Goa. Each Sunday morning she would attend the church service along with her fellow nurses and for remaining six days of the week would put her heart and soul into her work. She was lovingly addressed as "Gracyamma" by all as she was a mother like figure to all(amma=mother). Her personality was really graceful. Her face would genuinely convey empathy for the suffering patients. She had a good rapport with everyone from the chief surgeons down to the attendants and the cleaning staff and had a great knack for doing her work and getting it done from her sub-ordinates without any conflicts. This was owing to her pleasing, understanding and compassionate nature. I neither remember any squabbles in the ward between the staff and her, nor do I recollect her scolding anyone. The ward boys would be wary of her, though she herself was not intimidating. That was the effect of her personality, I feel.