perhaps we shall meet in this life

[edited 1/30/2021]
tony stark/peter parker  soulmate au.
definition: soulmates each get a mark somewhere on their body which is their soulmate's first words to them.

Backpack. Check. Granola Bar. Check. Web Shooters. Check. Peter ran through everything he might need for the day in his head, looking over himself in the mirror. He looked a mess, to say the very least. There were bags under his eyes and his hair stuck up all over the place. He would have had more than two hours of sleep if he hadn't been on patrol. Peter had stopped two muggings and a near robbery, then got caught up in a weird cult meeting that he had accidentally walked in on. He ditched the attempt at making himself presentable after realizing there was no one for him to impress. His only crush ever had moved away over two years prior.

Liz was the most amazing girl he had ever met. They had really hit it off, well, until confronted with the fact that we weren't soulmates. The fact that she didn't say the words inscribed in small writing on Peter's right hipbone: "Oh, Mr.", ruined their chances from the very start.

Peter glanced at my clock and did a double-take. It was 7:30am. He had five minutes to get to school. He started to race around, throwing things into his backpack before realizing that it was a lost cause. Peter let out a sigh and admitted to defeat, getting out his phone to text Ned.

Peter: hey ned, i'm going be a tad late. was out until 2 doing 'hobbies'.

Ned: Oh wow. Tell me the details when you get here, Pleaseee.

Peter: i always do lol

•••

Peter walked into school just as the tardy bell rang. Midtown Tech has a strict "put one toe over the line, and you are out" policy on tardies, so he had to go fill out a form stating why he was late. When Peter walked into homeroom, the teacher was desperately trying to calm a class of kids. The poor teacher didn't notice as Peter slipped in fifteen minutes late. Peter walked up to Ned in the back of the class and looked at him strangely. Ned stared off into space, a look of absolute wonder in his eyes.

"Ned," Peter said over the havoc of the other students and teacher. "Ned, Earth to Ned". Ned's head shook quickly, then he turned and smiled widely.

"Peter Parker, you will never guess what," He spoke with a dreamy tone.

"What the hell's up with you today? And what is going on with the other kids?" Peter looked questioningly around the room, taking in the scene of girls and boys alike fanning their faces with yellow slips of paper and talking excitedly among themselves.

"You won't even believe it," He smiled really big and handed Peter a slip yellow paper. On the front in big slanted letters, It said:

Tony Stark: The Engineer
Midtown Tech
Friday, November 23

"Friday? That's tomorrow!" Peter looked at his friend in amazement. Ned smiled widely.
"Now you get to see your true loveeee," Ned smirked, then snorted.
"Oh, shut the fuck up. I don't looove him. I just think he's smartest, techiest, strongest, hottest person ever."

"Peter, buddy, you literally just called him hot," Ned winked. "Plus, there's nothin wrong with liking him. He seems like a good enough dude."

"Awe, shut up. You know how my dads would be about me dating anyone... much less a grown ass man," Peter sighed. "Still, that ass..."

•••

Peter awoke to the initial chords of Studio Ghibli's "Totoro". He had been trying, and failing, to learn the words for over a week. He looked around with bleary eyes, wondering why he had set his alarm for 5:30 instead of 6:00. Then, his eyes opened wide. Tony Stark was coming to his school today. He scrambled out of bed and pulled on a black and red Deadpool sweatshirt and some loose black jeans. He stuffed his spider man suit into his bag and ran down the staircase, abruptly stopping as he collided with a body.

"Peter Parker, you have to stop running," scolds Aunt May, "why are you running?"

"Oh, sorry May," Peter looked at her apologetically, "I just don't want to be late for school."

"Well I, on the other hand, am going back to bed," she stated while walking away and closing her bedroom door behind her. Peter grabbed some food from fridge and began to cook. His phone rang, and Peter shifted the spatula to his left hand and picked up the phone in my right.

Ned: Bruh, get here now. Your lover awaits

Peter: i'm makin some eggs. be there in a bit.

Peter put some chili powder into his eggs and poured them from the pan onto the plate. Then, he scarfed them down, grabbed his bag, and walked out the door.

A few minutes later, Peter pushed through the entrance of his school building, to the surprise of his teachers. He pulled out his phone.

Peter: Ned, where are you? I don't like being her early. Everyone looks so surprised to see me awake.

Ned didn't respond immediately, so Peter tucked his phone into his pocket and glanced up just in time to crash right into someone. Peter stumbled backward and the person grabbed his shoulders to steady him.

"Oh, Mr... Whatever your name is. Didn't see you there," Tony Stark said as he pulled me up. Peter's consciousness collapsed. The only words he could form were barely coherent and the mark on his hipbone felt as it it were burning.

"Um, what the fuck?" Stark's his eyes widened.

"What... what did you just say?" His voice was calming, making Peter's panic lessen. Tony stared at Peter for a good five seconds, then pointed at his hip, where the SoulMark was burning. He didn't seem to be capable of speech either. Peter gave a small nod of affirmation and mirrored Stark's movement by pointing at Tony's hip. Suddenly, I'm pulled close to him as he whispered something.

"Well hello there love," he smiled, making me blush more. "I don't think we've been properly introduced."

"oh, hi. Peter Parker" He stammered. "Shit, I mean my name is -"

"Hi, Peter. Do you know what is written on my hipbone?" He saved Peter from his stammered introduction. Peter glanced at him and gave him a sly grin.

"I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about."

Tony's face falls about a millimeter. He seemed to be thinking about something important. "Could you follow me for a second?," He asked quietly. "It seems that there are other people watching." He turned and walked deeper into the school, looking for a quiet place to talk. Peter spotted an empty classroom and veered them into it, closing to door behind them.

"Sorry, I was joking about the whole not knowing that you're my soulmate thing," Peter said quietly, trying to break the silence. He looked at Tony Stark, trying to gauge his disappointment. He was shaken out of his thoughts as Stark moved this face near Peter's. He looked Peter dead in the eyes, leaving only inches of room.

"Can I hug you?," He whispered nervously, trying not to look terrified. Peter thought for less than a moment before pushing his body against Tony, as well as his lips. They kissed for a moment before Peter was smiling too much to continue.

"Don't you have a presentation to do or something?" Peter joked, refusing to let go of the older man.

"I feel like this is more important. I feel like you are more important."

fin

hi, did you like this? i may have changed it a bit from it's original form, but only because i feel as if i have grown (as have my references).

~ nostalgia-for-future