Sweet Dreams

Castiel woke up, like usual, to his parents screaming at each other again and Gabriel crawling into his bed. He glanced at his alarm clock and sighed at the time 7:30 blinked in red bold letters, making him shake his head and yawn as he pulled Gabriel close.

"Sorry, Gabey. I wish they'd be quiet too." Castiel whispered as he held his baby brother close, humming a soft tune into his hair to calm him down enough to sleep again. Gabriel didn't get a lot of sleep between how much candy he ate and all the screaming their parents did at each other.

"Why do mom and dad hate each other so much?" Gabriel asked as he held onto his brother, closing his eyes and trying to go to sleep. Castiel sighed deeply at his question and bit his lip gently as he tried to think of a response that wouldn't sound so cliché.

"They don't hate each other they've just... been around each other too long without any breaks." Castiel whispered into his brother's hair, rubbing his arm gently. "Get some sleep, kiddo. It'll all be better when you wake up." He whispered again, hoping it was true. When Gabriel finally managed to fall asleep Castiel waited a few minutes before getting out of bed and slipping off downstairs where his parents had stopped yelling but were still arguing.

"Well if you weren't such a lying whore-" Castiel's dad, Chuck, was cut off by his wife, Naomi, slamming her hand on the table.

"Stop calling me that! I haven't done anything!" Naomi yelled angrily. Naomi was always the one to make the arguments loud, Chuck would try to keep them quiet and civil. "Maybe if you didn't drink so much your head wouldn't be filled with these delusions!" She yelled, making Castiel clench his jaw as he slammed the fridge closed dramatically as he made himself a sandwich.

"Don't mind me. Just your son. Trying to have a peaceful Saturday morning and enjoy a sandwich. Carry on." Castiel said sarcastically as he made his sandwich, shoving the condiments back into the fridge and getting a can of soda and leaving the kitchen.

Chuck and Naomi were quiet for a while longer before Naomi screamed something about going to her sisters before storming out of the house with her coat. In Castiel's opinion the arguing was mostly Naomi's fault, she treated them all like she just couldn't wait to get away from them, always huffing and complaining when her children or husband asked her for something.

Castiel sighed as he sat in his room on his phone, just basking in the peaceful silence while he could. Everyone knew how distant and weird Naomi had been acting lately, and it was like she was having an affair, even Gabriel noticed that and Gabriel was possibly the most naive kid you'd ever meet.

Naomi came back at noon while Castiel, Gabriel, and Chuck were watching a movie in the family room. No one acknowledged her when she went right past them and upstairs to take a shower. Taking a shower as soon as you got home was never a good sign. Castiel heard Chuck scoff from beside his children and instantly looked over at him, giving him a slight pleading look not to start anything, sighing in slight relief when the man grumbled but held his hands up in a sign he wouldn't start anything.

Of course the arguing started two hours later when Gabriel said he was hungry and asked Naomi to make him something to eat.

"Yeah." Naomi sighed heavily and stood up, going to the kitchen to make Gabriel something. Chuck instantly followed her.

"Why do you always have a problem when our kids ask you to do something?" Chuck asked, quietly enough that their children wouldn't hear him. Naomi rolled her eyes almost instantly.

"I don't Chuck. I have no problem making my kids something to eat." Naomi scoffed as she turned on the stove and filled a pot with water, setting it on the slowly warming burner.

"Right." Chuck laughed bitterly. "That's why every time they ask you for something you huff and puff. Why don't you just leave if you're not happy here?" He clenched his jaw.

"If I wanted to leave I would've!" Naomi snapped, glaring at Chuck and clenching her jaw tightly.

"Keep your damn voice down." Chuck growled. "If you wanted to be here you'd act like a mother and not a bitch."

The arguing went on for longer, the two were still arguing even when Castiel and Gabriel went to bed. Castiel was close to just packing a bag for himself and a bag for Gabriel and leaving with the boy, getting him away from the toxicness. That was the last thing on Castiel's mind when he fell asleep.