Chapter 62: Picnic

Start from the beginning

"Are you serious?" she asked him, staring at him with disbelief. "Snow White? You said you liked it but you don't even remember the wish song? It's a well, not a fountain but, close enough, right?"

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no," he said quickly, holding his hands out. "Please don't."

"Too late!" she exclaimed, a wide grin on her face. "You wanna hear a secret? Promise not to tell?"

He groaned but couldn't help smiling at her enthusiasm. She gestured towards the fountain as she began.

Marley: We are standing by a wishing well. Make a wish into the well. That's all you have to do. And if you hear it echoing, your wish will soon come true.

He rolled his eyes as she began to spin around in a Disney Princess manner. He had to admit; it was pretty amusing.

Marley: I'm wishing. I'm hoping. And I'm dreaming of the nice things he'll say. I'm wishing for the one I love to find me today.

She began to vocalize the highest, most beautiful notes she could sing and it occurred to John that he'd never given Marley enough credit for her talent. Sure, he'd known she was good, but growing up with Julie, good didn't amaze him so much. Hearing Marley now, though, he knew she was worthy of amazement.

Marley: I'm wishing for the one I love to find me today.

She nudged John, indicating that he had to join in, so he sighed and went along with it.

John: Today...

She clapped her hands happily, doing a little dance as he stood there awkwardly, singing and looking around.

John: One Song. I have but one song. One song only for you... One heart. Tenderly beating. Ever entreating. Constant and true. One love. That has possessed me. One love. Thrilling me through. One song. My heart keeps singing. Of one love. Only for you.

Marley watched him the entire time he'd sang with her hands on her cheeks, as though she were anticipating something amazing.

"Sam was right," she told him. "Singing like this, out here, it was much more fun than being in the choir room all the time just standing there like an idiot."

"Whoa," John stopped her. "When have you ever stood there like an idiot?"

"Monday afternoon," she sighed. "When we did the girls number. I mean, it's why you guys mocked us, right?"

"Oh, Marley, that was just—" he began.

"No, no," she stopped him. "I'm not mad about it anymore. I know you didn't mean any harm. But there's a reason we were so easy to make fun of. It was cheesy and lame, especially me. I mean, at least the other girls were romancing their guys, you know? I was just sort of there."

John shook his head. He indicated for her to have a seat by the edge of the grass, where it met with the pond, and she did so hesitantly. "First of all, you didn't look like an idiot," he said. She shot him a look. "Okay, maybe a little silly," he said, and noting when she frowned added, "But it wasn't because you didn't have a guy to sing to. It was all the dancing around and acting like little princesses but it didn't make any of you idiots. Especially not you."

"I don't know..." she shook her head. "It's not like I wish I was back with Jake. Seeing how he handled our breakup, I'd never want to be back with him... But I do sometimes miss it. Not him, just it. Being in a relationship. Being someone's girlfriend. I feel sort of pathetic admitting it, like I need some guy to feel confident."

"You're not pathetic," he assured her. "I think it's normal, feeling like that after having someone for as long as you did. I miss Kitty's company all the time. But I think if there's anything you and I have in common it's that we both ought to be single and make friends and just have fun, without all the drama in romance. We-- you especially-- have so much to accomplish, and it's all non-romantic. So don't waste your talent on a guy. Being one, I know we don't deserve you."