[S02E06] "Liz Gets Woke"

When Liz woke up, she didn't believe it. Nothing seemed real. She couldn't have been at Harry's with Rick last night. That was months ago. It was like a distant memory. It didn't feel how it normally did when Liz had a vision. She spent so much time in the future, it felt like she was now living in the past. It felt like time travel.

She ran to the bathroom. Not sure if she would be ill. After a few false alarms, she looked in the mirror. Her younger self, starting back at her. Her hair no longer grown out. No longer that adult serious face staring back at her. Her face was wet with tears. She could still feel the pain in her belly.

She didn't want to go there, to the future. Mr. Stranger had been right. She just wanted to stay this Liz forever. She didn't want to change. She didn't want to grow up, but she had no choice.

Mr. Stranger would never visit her in her dreams again. She knew who he was. She knew his name now.

She climbed into bed and held on tight to Rick. She was still crying. She couldn't help it.

Rick woke up to a damp pajama top and the sounds of sniffles.

"Hey, what's up?"

"I love you, Rick."

"I know. You told me. I love you too."

"It's okay," Liz said, "you don't have to say it. I know you aren't ready, but you will be someday."

"What? Ready to love you? I'm ready to love you right now!" Rick put his arms around Liz and gave her a squeeze. He kissed the top of her head.

"Okay," she said, "you're squishing me."

Rick relaxed his grip. Liz rolled over on her back.

"Alright," she said, "Remember that future thing?"

"Yeah," said Rick, "It's like the only thing you've been talking about since we got to L.A. Like non-stop. I'm really glad you came out of the psychic closet and everything, but there are other things in life, you know?"

"Okay, okay," said Liz. "I know I've been talking about it a whole bunch. But listen, this is really important."

"Another vision?"

"Yes."

"I'm in it?"

"Yes."

"Alright, but really tell me this time, alright? None of this cryptic shit. If my fingers are going to get broken, I want to know for definate."

Liz laughed.

"Nobody's fingers are getting broken, clam down," she said. "Elroy is going to offer you a job. You should take it, right away, without hesitation. Don't argue about it, don't worry about how much it pays. Whatever it is, you take it."

"Okay... What happens if I say no?"

"I don't know, because you say 'yes'." Liz said.

"But if I say 'yes', then why are you telling me to say 'yes' if I'm just going to say 'yes' anyway?"

"So you say 'yes' sooner," said Liz. "The sooner you say 'yes', the better. Fighting it isn't going to get you anything."

"I feel like you woke up before me and Elroy bribbed you to tell me this."

"Scouts honor." Liz gave a three fingered salute. "Genuine future vision."

"Okay," said Rick still skeptical. "So what happens if I do take the job then ?"

"You win a Grammy," Liz said.

"A Grammy? Elroy's Job is going to win me a Grammy?"

"Pretty sure," Liz said. "Those are the ones that look like the old timey record players, right?"

"Yeah," said Rick, "that's a Grammy."

"That's the one."

"Come on..." Rick said. "You're pulling my leg."

"No," she said, "It's true. You write a song for me and it the best song ever made, because you love me so much, and it's such a great song, it wins a Grammy."

"Get out of here." Rick said, "I don't write songs. I just play them. I'm a jam band musician at best."

"That's going to change."

"So this song, you've heard it then?"

"Yes," said Liz. "I've heard dozens of times."

"Then you know how it goes."

"I do," she said.

"Well... How's it go?" Rick asked.

"Oh, I wouldn't do it justice." Liz said. "Besides, you're so happy when you figure it out. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you."

"Come on," Rick pleaded. "Just a lit bit."

"Nope!" Liz said. "I want you to feel the same way I did the first time I heard it."

They laid in bed as long as they could. It was well past noon when they emerged from the bedroom.

Elroy was in the home office, working quietly on his computer. Rick and Liz went into the kitchen to make coffee. The smell lured Elroy out from behind the computer screen.

"Little late in the day for coffee, isn't it?" He asked.

"You should talk," said Rick.

"Oh, I'm a tea guy now," said Elroy. "That hippy shit works so well for you, Rick. Thought I'd give it a shot."

"Maybe that would be funny if I drank some coffee first," Rick said.

"So anyway, did you think about that thing I told you about?" Elroy asked.

"What thing? There was no thing," Rick said.

"Yeah the thing with the guy, I told you about last night. The thing!"

"Oh, the thing! Of course, the thing with the guy! How could I forget. This is why you are my manager, Elroy. You're so articulate."

"It's just a little soundtrack thing for an indie-flick. Easy-peasy. I was going to set you up today, but it's already late. This guy Brian, he's good, you know? But he's business in the front and the back, if you know what I mean. Not the nightclub type. Wants you to come straight down to the studio, get something down."

"Okay," said Rick.

"Okay what?" Elroy asked. "Okay, you'll do it? Okay, you'll think about?"

"Okay, I'll do it," Rick said. "Set up the meeting?"

"Okay!" Shouted Elroy. "What time?"

Rick looked at Liz. She was so happy.

"The sooner, the better," he said.