chapter 4

Iris' POV, written by Ella

-----------------------------------------------------

"I have one quick question," I said, talking to Raini right after Audrey and Parker ran upstairs.

"Yes?" Raini replied.

"Do we make one present for everyone?" I inquired, hoping the answer would be no. I didn't know what to make Parker for his present, and I sure as heck didn't want to make a present for Chuck.

"Yes! Now, I have to go make presents for everyone," Raini chirped as she ran off to who-knows-where. Everyone pretty much knew where everything was in my house, even though it's huge. I had my friends over frequently, and so did Corbin.

I needed to go make presents for everyone, but my cold was terrible. Right after I attempted at standing up, a series of coughs knocked me back over. "Iris? Iris, are you okay?" Corbin asked as he rushed over.

"Yeah-" cough "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Corbin asked again with a worried look in his eyes. "This snow storm is going to make your cold so much worse than it already is."

"Yes, Corbin, I'm fine. Now go make the presents, I'll make them in a few minutes." I gave him a week smile to reassure him.

"Okay, get better," Corbin said as he kissed my forehead. He then turned around and ran upstairs to go find stuff to make his presents.

As soon as he left, I immediately regretted telling him he could. I forgot I would be in a room alone with Chuck.

"Iris-"

"No," I snapped.

"Let me explain-"

"Go away!" I yelled, hiding my head in the couch cushions.

I heard Chuck stand up and start to walk towards me, then thought better of it and sat back down.

"Do you-" I was too tired to yell at him again, so I just listened- "want help standing or anything so you can make your presents? I'll help you."

I didn't want his help. I never wanted to talk to him again. I just stayed quiet instead of answering, and when I heard him leave the room, I cried until I fell asleep.

-------------------------

I woke up to voices in the hallway. "What'd you do?" I heard Corbin ask angrily.

"What do you mean?" Chuck replied, sounding very confused. If only you knew, I thought, but not making a sound.

"Why was she crying?"

"Oh, um, well-"

"Spit it out!" Corbin growled.

"Nothing! I offered to help her stand or something so she could make her presents, and then she just- I don't know, she just started crying!" he responded, sounding truly distressed.

I then heard Corbin storm into the room. "Iris?" he asked, much more calmly than when he was talking to Chuck.

I looked up at him, but didn't make a sound. "What happened? What did Chuck do?"

"Well, um,-" I didn't know how to tell him. I never told him we dated in the first place because if he knew, he would hate Chuck. I already hated him, but I didn't want to ruin Corbin's friendship with the person he's known since, well, since forever. "Chuck and I dated for awhile and then he broke up with me last month over text and he won't tell me why and I don't know what I did wrong and I still loved him and h-he just left." I finally just spit it all out in a rush before I broke down into tears again. Corbin sat down besides me a pulled me into his lap.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he questioned gingerly.

"I didn't tell you we dated because I didn't want you to be a third wheel when we were all three together because he was your bestfriend. I didn't want to make it awkward between you two. I didn't tell you we broke up because I didn't want to ruin your friendship."

"Iris, you should have told me."

"I kn-know, I j-just didn't know h-how," I bawled.

"Shh, shh, it's okay," Corbin said, stroking my hair with his hand.