t h e n e x t h o u r s

RHYSAND

In the hours that past after Starfall he couldn't get it out of his head. The city festivities had slowed as few people remained awake. The lights that had once shown brightly below the balcony were gradually flicking off and the music fading as the night past by. Yet the image of that star was burned into his brain.

He didn't know why he had returned to his balcony to gaze at the dark night sky, stars twinkling across a patchwork of deep blues and blacks. His stare fixed on the spot that star had appeared. He couldn't forget the wave of power that rushed past him as it shattered into the sky. Feelings of determination and defiance tangled through it. Yet there were so many more pure and raw emotions he could sense as he fixed his attention to the star. It was what caused him to slow the star.

Instinct had seemed to take over in that moment. He had the vague sense the city partying below had paused to watch the star's journey across the sky. Ever thing had fallen away in the moment a blur in the background as all of his attention was on the star, it had only been seconds it had spent burning across the sky yet it felt like it went of for hours each second extended passing ever so slowly.

A familiar, soft hand wraps itself around his waist smudging the blue and gold stardust across the back of the suit he still wore as his mate walked up to join him. "Still out here" she says softly while staring out at the city far below before raising her gaze to that same spot in the sky. "That Star still on you mind?" she continued in that soft voice. So soft that even his fae ears only just picked it up.

He couldn't explain to her what he had felt he had tried, of course he had tried many times in the hours after the star had disappeared but couldn't find the words to express what had met his magic when it reached that star. The power that emanated from it was unbelievable but when his magic touched it, he was only greeted by an empty well that stretched so far he couldn't sense any end. Questions had raced though his mind, a swirling mass of confusion that only grew as he could find no explanation. What could have used that much power in such little time? Had there been a battle? But what he had discovered next as his magic was wrapped around the star forcing it to slow its pass through the world, was most curious of all.

The well of power within the star was rocketing up first he sensed it, then he could feel the space of that camber of magic shrinking, growing warmed and warmer. What could possibly steal this much magic? The ember crusted bottom soared up closing up that well for eternity and just before the star vanished from the sky and from his magic, the well stopped and the star was left with a small burning spot in its once great core. The city had seemed to pause in that second, the music halted as everyone felt the star leave the sky.