t h e l a s t s t a r

RHYSAND

The warm night air was filled with the many smells wafting from the stands lining the streets below. Baked goods and roasting meats mixing with the night jasmine that bloomed all around. The city was in celebration, as happy and festive as he had ever seen them for tonight was Starfall. His arm, now splattered with luminescent stardust, was wrapped tightly around the woman cuddled into his side, his mate. And even heavily pregnant, he thought she was the most beautiful person he had ever laid his eyes upon.

He looked back up towards the sky. Starfall was finishing as the final bright lights slowly arched across the sky splatting the city below with drops of gold and blue. The music snaking it's was up to their balcony from the parties below was nothing more than a soft melody when it reached them high above.

He tucked his wing around his mate her golden brown hair streaked with glowing light softly brushing his arm. She turned to him and whispered, "I don't think I will ever tire of this, not now, not in a thousand years". From the balcony they continued to watch the darkening sky, the scent of night jasmines that clung to the carved columns of the balcony still lingering in the air.

As he went to turn to guide his mate back into the home they had made for themselves, a bright light fills the sky. It streaked across the sky faster and brighter than any star to have ever fallen. The star screamed across the sky growing brighter and brighter. He raised his hand stretching it out towards the burning star, his suit dotted with fluorescent dust. With a shot of his power he slows the star as it plummets towards the earth. With a final wave goodbye to the star that burned brighter than any other, it winks out of sight.