Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine

Start from the beginning

"You think you're done here fellas?" she asked, chuckling. "You're not even close. On the ground and give me fifty, now."

The guys groaned as they dropped to the moist grass and began working out. A few of them grunted as they struggled to lift their bodies, so Will chuckled and began using his foot to add to their weight.

"Seriously boys?" he asked. "The girls over there are doing better than you all and they've only had one break between last period and now."

"They're pitiful, Will," Coach Beiste told him. "It's worst than we thought. We're going to have to do the full killing machine for this lot."

Music began playing as the guys continued to do their push-ups.

["I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan.]

Beiste: Let's get down to business to defeat the Huns... Did they send me daughters when I asked for sons? You're the saddest bunch I ever met. But you can bet before we're through. Mister, I'll make a man out of you.

The first done was Sam, who waited for Jake to finish next to lead him to the next task, with Ryder joining them soon after. He had them do lunges across the length of the soccer field, right past the cheerleaders who, although tired themselves, were glad they weren't male at the moment.

Will: Tranquil as a forest but on fire within. Once you find your center you are sure to win.

While Sam led Jake and Ryder in the third task, jumping jacks, and Beiste began to lead the second group to finish, John and Joe, into lunges, Will stayed behind with Rory, Alex and Dan, who struggled with the push-ups still.

Will: You're a spineless, pale, pathetic lot and you haven't got a clue. Somehow I'll make a man out of you.

As the three stood up, Will urged them towards the field for their own set of lunges. 

Dan: I'm never gonna catch my breath
Rory: Say good bye to those who knew me
Alex: Boy, was I fool in school for cutting gym

As Sam forced Ryder and Jake into doing sixty jumping jacks, Jake and Ryder felt themselves bonding over their mutual dislike of Sam's current authority over them. As John and Joe began their jumping jacks with Beiste, Sam led his two to one of the gymnasiums and towards the inner pool. First they did sit-ups by the bleachers and then it was into the pool. They were soon joined by the others, who, seeing that they were still doing laps, feared for how many they'd have to do.

As Will sat his boys down for sit-ups and Beiste shoved hers forcefully into the pool, Alex took advantage of Will's attention being on the swimmers to take a break, continuing to count although he was no longer sitting up. 

Rory: This guy's got 'em scared to death
Alex: Hope he doesn't see right through me
Dan: Now I really wish that I knew how to swim

After they were all done in the pool, it was back to doing laps outside. The girls were still there, though they seemed to have taken a break, unlike them. This time around, even Jake and Ryder struggled running laps and Sam seemed a bit exhausted himself, fueled only by his desire to help the guys out.

Boys: (Be a man)
Will and Beiste: We must be swift as the coursing river
Boys: (Be a man)
Will and Beiste: With all the force of a great typhoon
Boys: (Be a man)
Will and Beiste: With all the strength of a raging fire. Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Jake panted as Sam pushed him to the ground for him to begin his push-ups. Ryder followed suit, not wanting Sam to shove him down as he feared he wouldn't be able to recover, and waited for the other flushed, sweaty boys to join them as he did his set, more slowly this time.