Chapter Twenty-Six: Dinner

Start from the beginning

     I was a little overwhelmed at how nice but touchy feely they were. They didn't have much personal space to spare and preferred to stand very close to me and talk very loud and enthusiastically. "Oh, no ma'am. I'm here to help out, I always made breakfast in my old pack so I thought I'd help here."

     The other woman gasped, "Are you the sneaker who made breakfast the other day? We were wondering who beat us to the job!"

     I smiled lightly, "Sorry, ma'am. It's a habit."

     "Well it's a very good habit to have!" She cried happily. "Of course you can help out. You won't get paid, but I'm sure Percyus has enough money for the both of you!"

     I never really thought about Percyus having money, but I assumed as alpha and with such nice things, he had to have a lot. I shrugged, "I guess so." I soaped up my hands and rinsed them with hot water, patting them dry.

     My hands immediately went to work whipping eggs to make omelets and scrambled eggs. From then on the two ladies talked amongst themselves, probably realizing I was the last person to be able to carry a good conversation. I enjoyed the solitude to just working by myself, listening to their mindless pack gossip. Apparently Jolie had a big scandal with Ryan as he slept around before finding Jolie and mating with her.

     Once we finished breakfast, I left the kitchen before I have in and ate all of it. The food looked delicious, however I knew I didn't deserve it at all. I couldn't remember when I last had a meal apparent from the few strawberries I had at the coronation, but it was for the better. If I kept eating, I would get fat, then Percyus would really hate me. My stomach rumbled, almost making me feel too sick to eat in the first place, even though it made the noise out of hunger.

     I picked up a broom and went to the dining hall where the huge table was, sweeping in and around the legs and corners. My legs were a little shaky, my palms a little sweaty. I was nervous for the arrival of pack members, mostly just Percyus. I wondered if he would show up at all. I continued cleaning the dining hall from top to bottom as people started filling it. I made sure that I was out of the way at all times, flattening myself against the wall when someone needed to pass.

     "Excuse me." Someone muttered from behind me, and I immediately snatched up the dusting rag and pushed myself back into the wall, a man seeming confused as he stared at me, empty plate in hand. I wondered if he thought I was weird or stupid, but I realized he had a dirty dish.

     I took it from his hands, "I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you wanted me to take this, sir. I apologize."

     His eyes widened, "Oh, no! That's not what I was doing, I can certainly manage to clean my own dish, I was just confused as to why the future Luna is cleaning."

     I let out a relieved breath that he wasn't angry and forced a smile, "Everyone keeps calling me that, but it's not necessary. You can call me whatever you please. And cleaning is my job and obligation as Percyus's mate, besides I'd feel bad if I didn't help out, sir."

     The man's nose wrinkled, "Did King Percyus tell you that it was your job to clean?"

     I looked at my bare toes, "No, I just assumed, sir."

     He took his dish from my hands gently, "Well it isn't your obligation. A mate is supposed to love and support, not do chores without pay. Does he know you're doing all of this work?"

     I thought to him, technically he didn't know that I cleaned and cooked. He probably just assumed the maid had done all of it, rather than me. I shook my head, "I don't think so, sir."

     "Maybe you should give yourself a rest and enjoy time with your mate." He said cheerfully before bidding me farewell and going to deposit his dishes.

     I sighed lightly and put the rag back in the closet, if only enjoying time with Percyus were easy. I'm not really on his favorites list at the moment. I went back to retrieve dishes from some wolves who had finished, surprising them with the act. It seemed as if no one was used to getting their plates taken for them. I guess it was a peek of having a new servant. I would have to make this an everyday habit to keep them happy.

     As I was picking up a plate and carrying it to the sink, I smelled him. Vanilla and mahogany. The scent filled my nostrils and I almost dropped another dish. I clenched my hand on it though, not wanting a repeat of last time. I had gotten the kitchen all filthy. After setting the plate down, my eyes drifted to Percyus walking through the door in nothing but a pair of shorts and an unzipped sweater. He had no shirt on, exposing his hard physique.

     His eyes were rimmed with red and puffed up, barely concealed under the hood of his grey sweater. He viciously swiped the back of his hand across his glistening eyes, removing the tears harbouring in them. He was walking with a noticeable limp, his free hand occasionally roaming down to his thigh to rub the spot that was causing the limp. I let my eyes drift back down to the plate as he went to the line to grab food, his eyes anywhere but mine.

     He hardly filled his plate, sitting down alone in a nook far from anyone else. I could see tiny little cuts riding up from his forearm to under the hoodie sleeves, undeniably similar to glass cuts. I wondered why in the world would he have been messing with broken glass. His left hand clenched into a fist right before his eyes snapped up to meet mine. Through the swollen lids all I could see in his eyes was a warning to look away and not stare at him again. He didn't want to be watched.

     I immediately diverted my eyes back to the dish and carefully scrubbed it before putting it away. I made another round, collecting five or more plates to clean at a time. The gratitude from the wolves was apparent, but the confusion as to why Percyus and I were not speaking even more so. The whispers they tried to keep down still floated around the room and they snuck glances every now and then. I just kept my head down and did my job, hand washing every dish. I knew there was a washer that does it for you, but I didn't know how to work it, I only ever learned to clean by hand.

     After a while, I saw Percyus stand from the corner of my eye. He stood op on his favored leg, scooping up his half empty plate. He sauntered over, his limp noticeably gone down due to wolf healing. I was about to take his plate, my eyes trained on his bare feet, when he pushed past me to the sink. I stood there in shock as he rinsed his plate, frozen in my place. He put it in the washer, slamming it shut. All of the dishes inside of it banged together and the sound of breaking glass and ceramic flooded the kitchen, making everyone, who wasn't already, turn and stare. Percyus looked at the washer, pulling his lip in between his teeth.

     I closed my mouth, having realized I was gaping. I didn't even know anyone would've been strong enough to do that. He sighed heavily, rubbing his face with his hands. As a maid was walking into the room after hearing the noise, he spoke. "We need a new washer."

     "I could try cleaning it, sir." I murmured, lifting my head only a bit as to not anger him for staring again.

     He turned to me quicker than I could comprehend, making me flinch and stumble backwards a step. "No, you're coming with me."

     He grabbed my hand, lightly tugging me out of the room as more chattering maids made their way into a kitchen, giving Percyus a knowing look. He put his head down and pulled me a little bit faster up the stairs. He tugged me to our adjoined rooms and he dropped me off at the door to mine. "Put on a nice dress, Lorenzo planned a dinner in the city."

     "He what?"

     "A group of us are going out to eat, so I need you to get dressed." He said, a little bit of stress in his voice now as he didn't like repeating himself.

     "Okay, sorry sir. I'll go get dressed." I bowed my head and turned around to quickly push open my door.

     His voice stopped me. "It's Percyus."

    ~~~

Thank you for reading!

~~~