Chapter 4

Friday, another end to a crazy busy week. Rachael put down the last PADD of graded homework. There were 2 C's, 12 B's, and an A. It's not that she didn't like T'Kera, she was a great student... academically. Rachael just wish her parents would teach her a little humility. T'Kera had an attitude about her that just rubbed Rachael the wrong way. Her parents were great when it came to conference time. They were true Vulcans, but they were much more pleasant to be around.

Rachael forced herself to stop thinking about her student and focused on relaxing for the rest of the evening.

"Lieutenant Commander Data to Miss Ahyoka."

Rachael tapped the comm badge on her blouse. "Rachael here."

"Rachael, I have obtained the use of science lab C for your use tomorrow at 0700."

Wow that was early! "Thank you so much Data!"

"You are welcome, Rachael. I will meet you at Lab C tomorrow morning. Data out."

Hmmm that was a bit abrupt. I wonder what's going on on the bridge. I hope everything's alright. Rachael wondered. She gathered up her teaching supplies and headed home. Once back in her rooms, she sat down to compose a list of the materials she had to gather for the mini science experiment.

-6.5 foot rectangular metal frame

-Yarn

-Small metal washer

-Feather

-Tri-corder to measure angles.

Rachael was able to gather everything except the metal frame, which she would get in the lab, and the tri-corder. After cutting the yarn to length, she tied the washer and the feather to the end of it. She held up her simple system and blew on the feather and it fluttered. Perfect.

She left her creation on her dining table and ordered a bite to eat before getting a shower.

______________________________________________________________________________

In lab C the next morning, Data walked in to find Rachael struggling to move a large metal frame.

"May I be of assistance?"

"Goodness gracious!" Rachael shouted in surprise.

"I did not mean to startle you. I apologise."

"It's alright and yes, could you help me move this over to the middle of the room, please?"

Data picked up the tall structure easily and placed it where she had asked.

Rachael was right behind him with her feather tied to the yarn. She tied the yarn to the top of the frame so the feather hung in front of her mouth.

"You had said that this experiment will help sing the sound "F." I do not understand how this is so." Data admitted.

"Well, you know how I said that there was a slight fermatta when singing the letter F sound at the beginning of a word?"

"Yes, you also said it was a romantic sound." Data replied.

Rachael sighed. She knew this was one of the most important aspects of singing a classical piece, but she was so embarrassed to be explaining why it was so. I'll just have to get over it if we want to get this right. "Data, I'm feeling really awkward about trying to explain this to you. I'm used to working with kids and this isn't something that I explain normally."

"I am not sure I understand, but if it helps, please know that I can not feel embarrassed by anything you teach me. Perhaps if you word it as if it were just simple facts, you would be able to explain more easily?" Data suggested, hoping it would help her.