Chapter 2

(two weeks later)

“Come in!” Will called from his dining table after he heard his door chime. “Worf, what can I do for you?” he asked as the Klingon walked in.

“Commander, I am in need of advice.”

“Advice? What about?” he asked as he gestured for Worf to sit opposite him.

Worf took a seat, “It is a human matter that concerns me. I am unsure of how to proceed.”

“Well, what’s the problem?”

“It concerns Miss. Ahyoka.”

It took a moment before Will remembered meeting the songstress. “You still haven’t told her?”

“No, I have not. As I had said, she is fragile.”

“Well, the best thing to do would be to tell her the truth. Be plain but be gentle. Earth women would rather know the truth than be lead to believe a lie.” he suggested.

“I will take your advice into consideration.”

“Well, I hope it works out for you.” Will added before Worf left to see Rachael.

______________________________________________________________________________

“Alright students, we’re going to finish for today. Tomorrow, we’ll be working on the Starfleet Alma Mater. Don’t forget to bring your music and a stylist! We’re writing in the solfege!” Rachael hollered as the bell rang for class to dismiss.

She sighed as she sat down at the black baby grand piano. Needing time to unwind from the craziness of teaching, she began to sing.

Usdi yona...Usdi yona...Osta clegy...Osta clegy...Gi ah kay la da...Usdi yona...Osta clegy...Osta clegy...

“Oh, why do I have kids songs stuck in my head?” she grumbled, “I’ve got to sing something else.” She thought of a song that was definitely not a children’s song. She put her fingers to the keys, closed her eyes, and began to really unwind.

Qui c'è il buio fuori di me

Ed anche un po dentro di me

Che assurdità questa città

Senza persone!

Io non so spiegar neanche come

Ma non è questa la mia dimensione

E la mia mente non è mai in pace

È sempre altrove….

“Ahem”

“Oh my!” Rachael mashed the keys and nearly jumped a foot off the bench. So much for unwinding, she thought.

“I apologize for startling you, Miss Ahyoka.”

She rolled her eyes as her heart rate calmed down a bit. Each time she saw him, she grew even more smitten, so her heart rate didn’t go quite back to normal. She sighed as she relaxed back on the piano bench again.

“It’s alright. I was just trying to wind down from the work day.” Rachael began gathering up PADDs with sheet music pulled up and the one with the notes she had taken from the class. She put everything in her work bag and slung it over her shoulder.

“Worf, would you like to walk home with me?”

“Yes, I will walk with you.” he agreed and waited for her to close up the piano.

“I believe I have everything. Shall we go?”

Worf nodded once and they both left for her quarters, which was only a deck above.

“What were you singing when I entered the rehearsal hall?” he questioned cautiously as they traversed the hall.

“It’s an ancient Italian song called Alle Luce Del Sole.”

“What is the song about?” he wondered aloud.

She opened her mouth to speak but then closed it. It was a bit embarrassing admitting to the man she was crushing on that she was singing a love song.

Worf turned to look at her and saw her cheeks were red. “Are you alright?”

Rachael looked down at her feet then back up. She could not look him in the eye. “Oh, geeze. Yes, I’m fine. The song is about searching for love. Ah, here we are.” Rachael keyed in her code to unlock her door. “Thanks for walking with me.” She said as she entered her instrument filled front room.

“Miss. Ahyoka, there is something I must discuss with you.”

“Alright” she was nervous about where this was going so she busied herself with unpacking her work bag and placing music on her upright piano that was pushed against the far wall.

Worf sighed, he wasn’t sure how he was going to say this. He had run it through his head a million times. Be honest. Just be honest with her. Worf walked over to her couch and sat. “Please, come join me.”

Rachael gave him a strange look, but came and sat next to him.

“Worf?” she asked.

“Please, let me speak plainly.” he interrupted before she could say anything further. He was having a hard enough time as it was. “Am I correct in thinking that you would like to pursue a romantic relationship with me?” He was trying hard to choose his words carefully.

She smiled. He was finally getting the hints she had been giving him for the past two and half months. “Well, yes.”

Worf gave a small sigh, “Miss. Ahyoka, you are a beautiful woman. You have shown great interest in me and my culture. For that I am honored.”

Rachael’s smiled faded at those words and Worf was feeling terrible about having to break their friendship.

“Where is this going, Worf?” she began to shake internally, Hold it together, hold it together.

“I can not pursue a relationship of that nature with you.” He saw a tear slide down her cheek. “I believe it would be best that we do not see each other anymore after this.”

Worf stood and left but paused when he heard her sobbing from the other side of the closed door.

Too fragile, he thought as he walked away.

______________________________________________________________________________            

“The game is Five Card Stud” Will announced as he dealt out the cards. Data started the betting.

“Did you ever talk to Miss...what was her name, Worf?” Will asked.

“Miss Ahyoka, and yes I did talk to her.”

“Did she say anything?”

“No, I did not give her the chance. I did not stay long.”

“Why?” Data asked.

Worf looked at his android comrad and frowned. “I did not wish to see her cry.”

“You made her cry?” Will chimed in after placing his bet

“It was bound to happen.” Worf answered him.

“Human emotions are a delicate thing.” Will commented.

This last comment got Data thinking.