Chapter 3

A week later…

“Alright everyone, remember we’re in 4/4. What does that mean?” She looked at the class of blank stares. Come one we’ve been going over this for 8 weeks now. Someone besides T’Kera raise your hand. Finally! “Yes, Beth?”

“Four four means there are four beats in a measure?”

“And?” Come on, you know this.

“And the quarter note gets one whole count?”

“Yes! That’s exactly it.” hallelujah! “Alright, so if 4/4 means that there are four beats in a measure and the quarter note gets one whole count, what does 3/4 mean?” More blank stares. “Yes, T’Kera?”

“The time signature 3/4 means, there are three beats per measure and the quarter note receives one whole count.”   

“Correct. For your homework, I would like you to read chapter 7 in your textbooks and complete pages 30-34 in your theory workbooks.”  Rachael instructed just before the bell rang.

After all her students left, she sat down at the piano and pulled her new performance music from her bag. “Spanish, why did I have to choose to tackle Spanish?” she mumbled to herself and began to write in the solfege.

“Why would you wish to tackle a Spaniard?”

“Geez oh Pete!” she yelled while scribbling a line across the staff.

“I apologize for scaring you Miss. Ahyoka.”

“No, it’s alright. I was just overly focused on my new repertoire. Can I help you with something Lieutenant Commander Data?”

“Yes, I wish to know if you would like to collaborate and prepare for a performance with me and please, call me Data?”

Rachael stood and began gathering her PADDs and stylist into her bag. “Well, Data. How about you tell me what you have in mind for this performance while you walk me home?”

“Of course.” he replied and he let her lead the way down the hall to the lift.

“The collaboration I wish to pursue with you would involve a single genre but from multiple cultures.”

“That is an interesting idea. What genre did you have in mind?”

“I perform classical music, but I would be interested in venturing into other areas as well.”

They exited the lift, “Well, this is my quarters. Would you like to come in for a moment and we can continue talking about this fascinating idea of yours?” Rachael asked as she keyed in her code and walked in.

The only time Data had seen so many instruments in one room was on a stage with other performers. “Do you play all of these?”

“Yes, I play some better than others, but I only have one primary instrument that is my most precious possession. I was born with it, I’ll die with it, and I can never give it away.”

Data was puzzled. How could one be born or die with an instrument? “Is this a riddle, Miss. Ahyoka?”

She smiled, “No, not really. My voice is my most precious possession. I was born with it, I’ll die with it, and I can’t give it away. Please, call me Rachael.”

Data noticed a violin on a stand and walked over toward it. “May I?” he asked gesturing toward the stringed instrument.

“Be my guest, but just to warn you. I haven’t played that in a very long time, so it’s probably out of tune.”