Flashback Five

Flashback Five

We found some good people.

Mister and Mistress Robertson were in our next house when we found it, or rather, when they found us.

Mr. Robertson was standing out by the road, and he flagged Papa down with a red blanket. He almost got shot as a result. Papa's gun burned a hole through the blanket and set it on fire before Mr. Robertson could scream out his story.

Apparently he knew Papa from the before, and even though Papa never told me this for sure, it must be true because knowing Papa, if the man wasn't a friend he would have been turned into 'spoiled meat' like the people in the other house.

Mrs. Robertson likes Papa. She talks to him all the time, about the before and their work.

***

I was wrong. Papa knew MISTRESS Robertson from the before, not Mister.

That would also explain why Mr. Robertson is so angry all the time, especially with Papa.

***

I wish Papa would pay attention to me again... He's only got time for Mrs. Robertson and their plans. 'Colony' plans.

The Robertson's house is bigger than the one the bad people took from us. They have two generators and a tractor. There's also a big metal disk with a water tank thing in the back yard that purifies water.

***

The lillyvine hasn't taken over the Robertson's property. It's really strange; right up to the border of their land the vines are too thick to walk through and then-

Poof. Clear land until the end of the Robertson's property.

Papa knows how this works, and so does Mrs. Robertson. They aren't sharing the information though, and I'm thinking I wouldn't understand even if they did share.

***

Mrs. Robertson speaks German, like Papa.

That REALLY annoys Mr. Robertson. 'Listen to them chatter in Nazi language..." he'll mutter. ' I don't know what Nazi language is, but I understand some of Papa and Mrs. Robertson's German.

They're talking about somewhere called Argentina right now. There's a ship leaving in a few weeks that they want to 'seize.' I think it means they want to get on the boat.

I don't tell anyone that I understand the German. I don't think they would like it, me listening to their conversations. Mr. Robertson would be furious.

Mr. Robertson has a temper.