Day 15

30 Days with Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 15

I went upstairs to the attic and turned the flatscreen TV on. After looking through the channels, I decided to look for our copy of the old Disney movie, Sleeping Beauty.

"Ate Jell, anong hinahanap mo?" I heard a voice from behind me so I turned to face my cousin, Mary.

"Alam mo ba kung asan yung kopya natin ng Sleeping Beauty?"

"Bakit?"

"Panunuorin ko."

"Andun ata yun nakasama sa animated movies," Mary pointed to one section of the bookshelf that we turned into a systematic display of movie collections. Because if there's one thing that we really enjoy doing together, it's watching movies.

I approached the part of the bookshelf that Mary pointed out and started looking for the familiar title of Sleeping Beauty. I initially looked for it in the children's movie but forgot that it could have been moved to the animated section.

"Ba't naisipan mong panuorin yan?" Mary inquired, sitting down on the sofa and watching me browse through the collection.

"Wala, natripan ko lang."

"Sure ka?"

I turned to face Mary. "Bakit parang nagdududa yang boses mo?"

"Ang weird lang kasi ng kinikilos mo ngayon. Ayaw mo kaya ng ganyang movie. Gusto mo palaging action, horror, mystery at thriller."

"Ano namang masama kung matripan kong manuod ng ganito ngayon?"

"Wala naman."

I faced the collection again and immediately saw what I was looking for. I took it out of the shelf and blew the dust off of it.

"Disney's Sleeping Beauty." I read the title.

"Ayos lang ba kung samahan kitang manuod?" Mary asked.

"Oo."

"Popcorn gusto mo?" She offered.

"Sige."

Mary went down to the kitchen while I got the player ready. When she got back, the Disney castle opening is already running so she immediately put the popcorn bag in the microwave and set it on.

I exhaled sharply, wondering why am I going to watch this damned movie. 

"Lalim nun ah?" Mary noted.

"Manahimik ka na lang," I retorted. But she's right, I never liked this kind of movies, I always went for the more lively ones. What kind of sorcery does Fina Romulo put on me to make me do these kinds of things that I'm not accustomed to?

The popping noise of the popcorn began so I shifted to a more comfortable position on the sofa. The buttery smell filled the air and despite just having finished breakfast, my mouth began to water.

As I watched the beginning of the movie, I remember again the secretive smile Fina gave me when she told me that this movie, Sleeping Beauty is her favorite Disney animation. There was something oddly different about that smile, not just because she's hiding the reason from me but because there was some sort of spark in her eyes.

Mary handed me the bowl where she transferred the popcorn and then sat comfortably beside me, her eyes focused on the television screen.

I tried my best to focus on the movie and stop thinking about Fina but somehow failed since the question of why this is Fina's favorite movie kept on nagging me. I did focus on the movie but every little detail, from the moment that the baby was cursed to the moment that the prince kissed her, I watched everything with the same intensity I give my economics book whenever I'm reviewing for our Finals.