Chapter six

Andy left the restroom and went to biology class again. I took a deep breath, fixed my make up and then went back.

“You’re late Ashley Purdy” Mr. Walker said. I nodded “I know sir, I missed the bus” I lied. I don’t even go to school with the bus. Mr. Walker nodded and I sat down at the back of the class. Juliet and Andy were sitting in front of me.

Mr. Walker told us about death and then he told us what exercises from our workbook we had to do. We started working on it. “Hey” Juliet said. I ignored her. “Hey fagboy” she said. I looked up, irritated. “What?” I snapped.  “You’re ugly” she giggled. “I know right, you tell that everyday” I said. Andy turned around too.

“Andy, do you think he’s ugly too?” she asked him. I swallowed. He didn’t say anything, he just nodded.

Pain was in his eyes again. His eyes told me he didn’t mean it. That was enough for me.

The bell rang and I packed my bag. “Do you like me?” Juliet cooed. “No I don’t” I said. “Ohh… that’s of course because you’re gay. A little faggot. I forgot about that, sorry.” She laughed. Then she poked Andy “If I was you, I’d be careful, maybe he likes you, and then he wants to have gay sex with you” she laughed.

Andy smiled weakly “yeah” he said.                          

His look was still on me when I disappeared through the door of the classroom. I made my way to the PE rooms. I didn’t even consider going to the locker room. I went straight to our coach. “Um… Mr. Yusan” I said.  My PE teacher wasn’t American; he came from the mid east, something like that. I liked him. He was very nice to me.

He looked up, “yeah Ashley?” “I-I’m afraid I can’t join this lesson” I said, biting my lip. “What’s going on?” he asked softly. “M-My ribs hurt” I said, swallowing back tears. “What did you do this time?”  Mr. Yusan asked, a light chuckle in his question. “I-I… sorry” I sighed.

“Ashley” he said. I swallowed. “I think we need to talk for a second” he said. I shrugged. “Hey Taylor, can you stand in for me for a second, I need to talk with one of my students” he said to Mr. Gilbert. I didn’t know his name was Taylor. I didn’t expect that actually.

“You’re coming with me?” Mr. Yusan asked. I nodded and followed him to a little office.

“Sit down” he pointed at a big, soft chair. He sat down at the opposite of me. “Ashley…” he started. “Can… Can you show me your ribs?” he asked. “I-I don’t know…” I said hesitating. “It’s okay Ashley, I won’t hurt you” he said softly.

I slowly pulled up my shirt, revealing the bruises for the second time today. Mr. Yusan nodded, “You can put it down again” he said. I put my shirt down again.

“You’re getting beaten up, aren’t you?” he asked softly. I shook my head. He took my hand. “It’s okay Ashley, you can trust me” he said softly. “You are getting beaten up, aren’t you?” he asked again. This time I nodded carefully. Mr. Yusan nodded too.

“Can you tell me by who?” he asked. I said nothing. I just stared into the distance. “Are they people from school?” he asked carefully. “S-sometimes” I admitted. “Not this time?” he asked. I shook my head “no”.

“Was it family?” he asked. I nodded and swallowed again. “Your dad?” he asked. I broke down. Mr. Yusan just rubbed his hand up and down my back softly. “Do you want me to help you, or talk with your dad?” he asked softly. I shook my head “N-no thank you, its okay” I said.

“Really?” he asked. I nodded “yeah”. “Okay, but if you ever need help, or someone to talk to, I’m here, okay?” he said. I nodded.

“And now go, I’ll write you a note, you can go home now, then your ribs can heal I hope” he said. I nodded “thank you sir” I said. “You’re welcome” he smiled and ruffled my hair softly.

I don’t like it when people are ruffling –also known as fucking up- my hair.

Mr. Yusan gave me the note and I gave it off by the reception. Then I went home.

When I got home, I found a note laying on the kitchen table. In my dad’s ugly handwriting was written; I’m off to Dave’s. I’ll be back at Friday evening.

Okay I could definitely handle that. Being home alone for the rest of the week. That meant I wouldn’t get beaten up by my dad. And if I was lucky, also not by people from school.

I threw my bag in the corner of my bedroom and lay down on my bed carefully.  I decided to take a little nap and set my alarm clock at four pm. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

I was woken up a little earlier because my phone started buzzing. I got a text message from Andy; Hey Ashley, um… are you okay with it if we’re not going to do math tonight? X Andy

Great, he didn’t want to see me anymore. He cancelled our evening. Yeah that’s okay, see you tomorrow at school then I guess… I texted back.