Charlotte Russell and the Four Mean Elephants

Once upon a time there was a kind girl called Charlotte Russell. She was on the way to see her Phil Butterscotch, when she decided to take a short cut through Slipperyham Park.

It wasn't long before Charlotte got lost. She looked around, but all she could see were trees. Nervously, she felt into her bag for her favourite toy, Terrance the Moose, but Terrance the Moose was nowhere to be found! Charlotte began to panic. She felt sure she had packed Terrance the Moose. To make matters worse, she was starting to feel hungry.

Unexpectedly, she saw a mean elephant dressed in a pink jacket disappearing into the trees.

"How odd!" thought Charlotte.

For the want of anything better to do, she decided to follow the peculiarly dressed elephant. Perhaps it could tell him the way out of the forest.

Eventually, Charlotte reached a clearing. She found herself surrounded by houses made from different sorts of food. There was a house made from turnips, a house made from chips, a house made from toffees, a house made from chips and a house made from macarons.

Charlotte could feel her tummy rumbling. Looking at the houses did nothing to ease her hunger.

"Hello!" she called. "Is anybody there?"

Nobody replied.

Charlotte looked at the roof on the closest house and wondered if it would be rude to eat somebody else's chimney. Obviously it would be impolite to eat a wholehouse, but perhaps it would be considered acceptable to nibble the odd fixture or lick the odd fitting, in a time of need.

A cackle broke through the air, giving Charlotte a fright. A witch jumped into the space in front of the houses. She was carrying a cage. In that cage was Terrance the Moose!

"Terrance the Moose!" shouted Charlotte. She turned to the witch. "That's my toy!"

The witch just shrugged.

"Give Terrance the Moose back!" cried Charlotte.

"Not on your nelly!" said the witch.

"At least let Terrance the Moose out of that cage!"

Before she could reply, four mean elephants rushed in from a footpath on the other side of the clearing. Charlotte recognised the one in the pink jacket that she'd seen earlier. The witch seemed to recognise him too.

"Hello Big Elephant," said the witch.

"Good morning." The elephant noticed Terrance the Moose. "Who is this?"

"That's Terrance the Moose," explained the witch.

"Ooh! Terrance the Moose would look lovely in my house. Give it to me!" demanded the elephant.

The witch shook her head. "Terrance the Moose is staying with me."

"Um... Excuse me..." Charlotte interrupted. "Terrance the Moose lives with me! And not in a cage!"

Big Elephant ignored her. "Is there nothing you'll trade?" he asked the witch.

The witch thought for a moment, then said, "I do like to be entertained. I'll release him to anybody who can eat a whole front door."

Big Elephant looked at the house made from macarons and said, "No problem, I could eat an entire house made from macarons if I wanted to."

"That's nothing," said the next elephant. "I could eat twohouses."

"There's no need to show off," said the witch. Just eat one front door and I'll let you have Terrance the Moose."

Charlotte watched, feeling very worried. She didn't want the witch to give Terrance the Moose to Big Elephant. She didn't think Terrance the Moose would like living with a mean elephant, away from her house and all her other toys.