Chapter Two

I woke up early. I didn't know why I had set my alarm to 4:30 in the morning, but I did. I knew it was for something. I tried to shut my eyes for a few moments longer, but the constant beeping drove me crazy until I was forced to punch the off button and slither--or more like fall--out of bed. 

Then I remembered. Today was the field trip our grade was having. A weekend trip to New York City. Why weekend? Because we lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A full six hours away. Why we were doing this, I don't know. Why I was going, I don't know. Either way, that's the reason why I had to get up at 4:30 in the freaking morning on a Saturday. 

I pulled on some sweatpants and a fluffy sweater, then stumbled downstairs and groggily tried to remember what cereal was as I subconsciously prepared it. 

My father silently walked into the kitchen where I was pouring milk into my cereal. "Are you ready for your trip, Faryn?" he said suddenly. 

I was startled, and spilled some milk on the table. I cursed under my breath and grabbed a paper towel to mop it up while I mumbled out the word, "Almost." 

My dad did not look particularly tired. Not that he looked excited, but he actually didn't look much of...well, anything. No emotions. That's been common lately, not just among him but everyone I have talked to in the past week. Strange. 

I slid onto the counter stool and slunk the spoon into the bowl of milky squares. 

"Do you have everything packed?" my dad asked, still in the room for whatever reason. 

"Almost," I mumbled out around a mouthful of cereal. 

He walked across the room to where his phone lay, charging. He fiddled around with it for a while. I didn't particularly care. 

I finished my cereal and dumped the dishes in the sink. For however tired I was, I could tell that something interesting was going to happen today. But not the good kind of interesting. 

~~~

My father drove me to school. It was 5:30 and still dark out when we arrived. The wind whipped through my unbound hair and felt cold on my face. I let out a breath. It fogged up in the frosty air. Winter was certainly coming. 

I saw Mr. Ward, the vice-principal, standing on the sidewalk, his emotionless face illuminated by the streetlight. I walked up to him, dragging my suitcase over the curb, my father a few steps behind. 

"Good morning, Faryn. Do you have your permission slip?" Mr. Ward asked. 

"Yes, here it is," my dad said, handing the folded up piece of paper to him. 

"Thank you. Faryn, you may say goodbye and wait over there with the other students," Mr. Ward said, pointing to the group of teenagers all standing a few paces away. 

I hugged my dad, "Goodbye, Dad. I love you," I said. 

He hugged me back, "I love you too." Though the hug felt forced and his voice was very robotic. 

I waved at him while I walked towards the other students. He didn't even see me. 

I walked up to Angelica and started complaining to her about getting up this morning. She blankly stared at me, nodding but not showing any emotion. 

That's when I got a text from her, even though she was staring right at me. 

"Faryn, don't go. It's for your own good." 

I motioned to Angelica to give me a moment. I texted back, "what?" 

It took a moment, but the text came back, "I am the real Angelica." 

Angelica was still standing in front of me, staring off into space. 

"Then who's standing in front of me?" I texted back. 

"It invaded." 

I couldn't believe this. She was...possessed? But that wasn't possible. It must be a hacker. 

That's what I told myself. 

"Don't go on the trip. It could happen to you." 

But it was then that Mr. Ward shoved me towards the bus and tucked my luggage in the bottom compartment. 

I walked on, regretting every step, though I didn't have a choice. 

Sat down. Stared out the window. 

The bus hummed to life, and the wheels started rolling. 

I wondered whether I would see home again.