Chapter 13 - The Prince and his Knight

Lucky for you, no one was around as you woke up as they would have heard a string of very unprincelike curses that would embarrass even the sailors of Lurelin. You gasped for breath, shaking off the thud in your chest as your heart painfully restarted. Your eyes took a moment to adjust to the brilliant bright sky, finally clear of the evil of the Calamity. Birds even sung and hopped about the ruined castle. You groaned, wrenching your back up and felt not only stiffness and pain but an uncanny sense of déjà vu. Just as before, your wounds were completely healed, but Din had left you your dignity by not undressing you this time. Using a Rusty Greatsword as a walking stick, you limped your way down the castle. Most of the monsters had disappeared, though a stray Lizalfos or two still wandered the halls, seemingly lost without Ganon's guidance. You made it back to the main gates, which were left open. Castle Town was quiet, with only husks of Guardians left behind. There were even a few markings of an old encampment.

How long had you been asleep this time?

You sat at the abandoned fire pit, rubbing your thumb over someone's carving of a Triforce into the old wood. Underneath it, someone had etched a few words.

"May the souls of the lost be found," you read, "may they find calm seas and fair winds." It was an old prayer from beyond the Great Sea, one your mother often said.

The wind sung in the trees. Hyrule, for once in a very long time, sat in true peace.

   ▲
▲ ▲

It was a long hike, but you made your way to Riverside Stable. A familiar song instantly made you smile. "Kass!"

"My prince! You're alive!" Kass nearly dropped his prized accordion and ran to embrace you. "We were certain you perished in the battle! Sir Link spent days trying to find you."

"R-really?" You blushed. "Where is Link? Is my sister with him?"

Kass frowned. "Princess Zelda is safe, but I'm afraid I have no idea where they are."

You thought for a moment. "It'll be easier for everyone if one of us just stayed put. Kass, if you happen to see them, please let them know I'll be at Castle Town."

"Castle Town?" The Rito spluttered. "Ganon may be gone, but Hyrule Field is still very dangerous!"

"Yes," you said with a grin, already scrawling a note out on a piece of paper, "but there's a lot of work to do, and if I chase them, I'll always be two steps behind." You shoved the piece of paper at the stable owner. "Please make sure this goes out with the next mail to Hateno. I have another one for Kakariko, Zora's Domain, Rito Village, Goron City, and Gerudo Town. I also need my horse."

"Right away sir."

Kass was still trying to process. "Your majesty, are you sure about this?"

"Absolutely," you said, tearing off another note. "Link and I found each other after one hundred years and after we both basically died. I know we'll find each other again."

   ▲
▲ ▲

"You're insane," Bolson said, surprisingly deadpan for the eccentric contractor. He was poleaxed by the plans you spread out on the drafting table.

"Rebuilding Castle Town is the next step in rebuilding the kingdom," you countered. "We're just going to make it better since you're doing it."

That got a rise out of him. "Oh [Y/n], flattery will get you everywhere. Oh Kaaaaarson!" As he ran off, you turned to the rest of the team. The Goron Brothers of Goron City – as recommended by Greyson in Tarrey Town – were starting to clear the rubble of old Castle Town. A couple of Lady Riju's Gerudo soldiers teamed up with Sheikah guards and patrolled the walls to keep out any remaining monsters or Yiga assassins. Zora artisans worked on assessing aging and water damage and were beginning repairs to the main walls. The fastest Rito were hard at work carrying notices and letters to the various stables and caravans to re-route them through Castle Town.