twelve

Angel; Chapter Twelve

         "Good thing you're here. We need an umpire," Esme smiles as Jasper and Lauren arrive at the field. Storm clouds gather in the sky as Lauren takes in the makeshift baseball diamond in the clearing.

         "She thinks we cheat," Emmett gives Lauren a big crooked grin as Bella and Edward arrive. Lauren smiles as they walk towards the group and receives an awkward wave in return. Lauren shifts next to Jasper and readjusts her hand in his.

         "I know you cheat. Call 'em as you see 'em, girls," Esme voices carries across the open clearing as they all start to spread out across the baseball diamond. They stop, seeming to be waiting for something. Lauren watches curiously as everyone turns to Alice.

         "It's time." As those words left Alice's mouth, a deep rumble shakes the forest and the Cullens immediately shift into action – Edward and Emmett are suddenly taking their positions in the outfield as Alice waits on the pitcher mound.

         Lauren and Bella watch, staying close to Esme – who is playing the catcher – as Rosalie hits the ball. The sound of the aluminum bat hitting the ball reminds Lauren of the deep thunder she heard before.

         "Now I get why you need the thunder," Lauren says to Esme, who gives a small chuckle in response. They all watch as Edward shoots after the ball into the trees while Rosalie darts around the bases.

         Bella speaks, cutting into the comfortable silence that covered them for the couple seconds as they watch the game. "That has to be a home run."

         "Edward's very fast," Esme comments, and just like that, Edward is out of the forest and whipping the ball towards Esme as Rosalie races towards the home base. Within a millisecond, Esme has caught the ball just as Rosalie's feet touch the base.

         "You're out." Rosalie sneers at Bella who immediately shrinks into her coat and awkwardly avoids her fierce stare. Esme nods to Rosalie, confirming Bella's statement and then turns forward to continue watching the fascinating game in front of them. Carlisle goes, and they watch in amazement as Edward and Emmett both dive for the ball but end up colliding. The sound of boulders falling rumbles deep in Lauren's chest.

         Jasper is next up to bat and Lauren waits with bated breath as he walks up the plate, twisting and twirling the bat around his skilled fingers before turning his head to face Lauren and giving her one of his smug grins. Jasper whacks the ball deep into the forest, but before Edward can chase after it, Alice's voice calls out to him.

         "Stop! I didn't see them," Alice trails off as everybody quiets down and gathers at home plate. "They're traveling so quickly..."

         "You said they left the country," Rosalie cuts her off and Alice quickly replies as the visions play out in her head. "They did, but then they heard us and changed their minds."

         "Put your hair down. Both of you," Before Bella can even reach behind to pull her ponytail down, Edward's hands are already there. Lauren shifts her hair to cover her neck with shaky hands as she listens to the panicked voices.

         "Like that'll help. I could smell them from across the field," Rosalie points out and Lauren's heart jumps, scared of what is going to happen next.

         Edward begins profusely apologizing to Bella as he continuously fixes her hair, trying to mask her human scent. Jasper says nothing, only coming up behind her and reaching his arm around to rest on her shoulders as a wave of calmness washes over her. She doesn't try to fight it, only letting the cool feeling surround her and calm her racing heartbeat.