********flash back*********

Faded blue walls. Faint pulse of music. Red fabric. The collision of skin on skin. Bitter aftertaste. Flutter of wings. Blood stained porcelain.

*********end flash back********

"Hello? Earth to Artemis...."

It felt as though someone had dumped a bucket of ice water over my head. I shook my head, to clear it. My hand pressed to my lips at the memory of Lydia's party.

"Yeah. Sorry. I just remem- you know what, it's not important. Me? What do you wanna know?" I forced myself to maintain eye contact and focused on my breathing. I felt the pulse in my head throbbing, making my throat constrict uncomfortably. Being in such close proximity of Alex was giving my self restraint one hell of a workout. Despite my best efforts, I failed not to notice the steady pulse of the vien in his neck or the heat that seemed to eminate off his skin, drawing me in like a moth to a flame. I licked my bottom lip unconciously, fidgeting with the hem of my scrubs.

Alex smirked, shoving his hands deep in the pockets of his scrubs.

"Amittyville Horror or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?" I frowned. It was definitely not the kind of question I had been expecting. What the hell. Why not? I thought for a second before answering.

"Amittyville. You?" He smirked and shook his head, watching me closely. It made me want to hide inside my scrubs, pull all my limbs in and never come out. It reminded me of the petri dishes in my seventh grade science class. Now I knew how it felt to be under a scope.

"I meant why you killed that lady and attacked your family. Was it ghosts like Amittyville or were you on, like, a blood high like in Chainsaw Massacre? Did you plan to wear the skins?" I stared at him for a moment, trying to process what he had said, but struggled.

"What?" He rolled his eyes and shifted so his weight was on one side. He suddenly leaned in close, as if to kiss my neck and whispered in my ear, making the hairs at the back of my neck stand on end.

"I said; 'Are you haunted or just blood lusting?'" He shifted so our noses were almost touching, catching me in his azure stare. I felt the chill of goose bumps slither down my arms and legs. It was like I was under some kind of trance. I felt myself leaning forward, but didn't pull back.

"Both." He held my gaze, his eyes flickering between my eyes as if he were looking for something. His smirk grew.

"I knew I recognized it. Your even more tainted than I am." He dropped his gaze and took my hand, wrapping my fingers around something before releasing me. "We can pick this up later. Gotta convince these idiots that I'm a sheep." Then, he was gone. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I suddenly exhaled. The trance was broken. I looked around as if just realizing where I was.

What the hell was that? I shook my head to clear it, but it didn't help. I shivered despite the warm sun on my skin. Thats when I noticed the paper he had tucked into my hand. I unfolded it quickly, flattening out the crinkles in the page. It was a single word. 'ANGEL'. But it was messy and scribbled. I frowned, turning the page upside down. Now it was a completely different word. 'DEMON'. It was an ambigram. And I had no clue what it meant.

"What the fuck..." I sighed in exasperation, running my hand through my hair. I needed to get out of here. I was officially losing it. I made my way into the dormitory, glancing at the clock as I went. 2:48pm. I had twelve minutes to get to my meeting with Ms. Morell. I walked slowly down the halls, dragging my feet more with each step. I ignored the stares of the orderlies and the shouts of the patients I passed until I heard one in particular. I had seen her in the halls before. The orderlies called her Meredith. She sat on the floor outside of her door, tracing invisible patterns on the tiled floor. She was whispering to herself, twitching every once in a while. I looked over my shoulder to see if any staff were watching before slowly approaching.

I watched her hands closely to try to figure out what she was drawing, but was ultimately unsuccessful. Her lips continued to move in a steady stream, her jaw jerking every couple seconds. If she wasn't crazy, she was one hell of an actress. As I approached, her voice became more decipherable.

"... sad was the day for the little bisque doll... For they cut all her stitches away and found the seat of the terrible ache... "Twas a delicate task," they all say. For none of the surgeons had ever before performed on a dolly's inside... They tried to re-stuff her but didn't know how. And this was her wail as she died... I've got a pain in my sawdust, that's what's the matter with me. Something is wrong with my little insides. I'm just as sick as can be..." Suddenly she froze, drawing me up short. Slowly, she turned her head to look at me. I simply stood frozen, like a deer in headlights. Then, without warning, she began sobbing uncontrollably, clutching at the hem of my scrub top. I grasped her hands in an attempt to get her off, but she simply grabbed a fistful of my hair, forcing me down to her eyelevel. I dropped to my knees, gasping in surprise.

"I can't save you, little bisque doll. I can't. I can't! I can't! I CAN'T! I CAN'T!" Two orderlies came running at the sound of her rising voice, setting to work trying to free me from her death grip. As soon as I was free of her clutch, I slid back across the tiles until my back was against the opposite wall. I simply stared at her in shock, not noticing Brunski, a head orderlie, approaching from my left. Suddenly my left arm was nearly wrenched out of it's socket as Brunski used it to knock me on to my stomach on the cool tiles, pinning my arms behind me.

"Now look what you've done. Disrupting the unit. Again. You know what that means..." I grunted as he dug his knee hard into the small of my back. "Looks like you're back in solitary for the next twenty four hours."

"Fuck you! All I did was walk past her! She's nuts!" I snarled, growling when he twisted my wrist, hard. He chuckled darkly.

"Hey, Addams. Would you say she's still resisting? Yeah? Let's get her some Heldol five stat. Help calm her down." At the sight of the syringe, I felt the rage begin boiling at a dangerous level. I clamped my eyes closed and tried to focus on my breathing. I could not lose it here. Not with so many potential targets.

Just as the needle touched the skin of my arm a voice rang out, full of authority.

"Enough!" I shifted my head, so I could see the speaker. It was none other than Ms. Morell. She stood with her arms crossed across her chest, her weight on one foot. She was glaring daggers at Brunski.

"What is this? Miss McCob was expected in my office five minutes ago."

Brunski didn't answer right away, looking to Addams for support, but finding none.

"Well, McCob here, was giving Meredith a hard time. Set her off, so we proceded to do a hold. She refused to calm, so I ordered a PRN Heldol." His tone was begrudged. Obviously he didn't relish the idea of answering to the pint sized therapist. I couldn't fight the smug smirk tugging at the corners of my lips.

"She seems calm now." Ms. Morell deadpanned, indicating my still and silent form. "Let her up. Ms. McCob, follow me." With one last, sharp twist, Brunski released my wrists, stepping back. He glared after the therapist in obvious butt hurt. I smiled and followed her lead, but not before throwing up some very rude hand signals in Brunski's general direction.

*Sorry it's taking so long to deliver! I'm still writing, I'm just über slow. More to come... dun dun dunnnnnn. :)