Heat

The outside lights were on as I pulled up the driveway. My hands shook as I unfastened my seatbelt and took my keys from the ignition. A coppery after taste still lingered on the back of my tongue. I slowly walked up the walkway and up the steps to the front door.

"Where the hell have you been? You look like shit." I glanced to my right to see Mal perched precariously on the porch railing, typing away on her iPhone. I said nothing and grasped the door handle. "She's gunna kill you, ya know. She's been waiting to hear from you for hours." I could hear the smile on her lips as she spoke. A ripple of annoyance threatened to burn through the numbness that had taken residence inside me. The warmth I had felt along my spine still hadn't left, and I could feel it slowly spreading up the back of my neck. Taking a silent breath, I ignored Mal and pushed the door open. The lights in the house were near blinding after being out in the dark for so long. The lingering smell of what must have been supper still hung thick in the air. The tv was on, blasting the news. I carefully shut the door behind me hoping to be silent, but not obviously sneaky. I crept quietly to the base of the stairs and began my ascent.

"Artemis?" I froze. 'Damn' I thought, grimacing inwardly as I slowly turned to face a very angry looking Elle, standing in the entry way to the kitchen with her hands on her hips. "I have been texting and calling you all day! Do have any idea how worried I've been?!" She gave me her signature mother hen look, pursed lips and cocked eye brow. I didn't bother with a response and turned on my heel and continued up the steps. The warmth in my spine was growing uncomfortable and I could feel the burning in my throat beginning again. I needed to stay as far away from people as possible. Especially Elle.

"Hey! I'm not done talking to you yet! Aren't you going to tell me where you've been?" Elle called, rushing up the stairs after me.

"There's nothing to tell." I growled, keeping my head down and picking up the pace once my bedroom door was in sight. Just a few more feet and she'd be safe. But that thought was shattered when Elle's hand caught my arm, spinning me to face her.

"Artemis! Tell me where in the hell you've - Oh my god!" I looked up to her face in panic, remembering Robert's comment, 'Your eyes!'. But she wasn't looking at my face. Her eyes were on the collar of my jacket. "Is that blood?! Oh my god! Missy are you hurt?! What happened?!" I jerked my arm out of her loosening grip and stormed to my room muttering over my shoulder as she stood at the top of the stairs in shock.

"It's not my blood. Some guy crashed and I helped him." I slammed the door shut and locked it behind me before leaning against it and sliding to a sitting position on the floor. I knotted my hands in my hair as I felt the tears boil over, the numbness completely shattered as images of Robert Paul Thompson laying on the road, staring at the night sky in horror filled my head.

"Is the man okay? Did he get to a hospital?" Elle called through the door. I took a breath to steady myself before answering.

"No. He, uh... He died." I said, wincing when my voice cracked. I dropped my head against my knees and bit back the sobs that threatened to reduce me to rubble. I had killed a man. I had killed a man with thirty two dollars in his pocket and a beautiful woman probably waiting for him at home. How long would she have to wait before she got the call from the sheriff's office?

"Oh, Honey. I'm sorry. I didn't know. You weren't answering your phone. I was just so... And Mal said you were probably... Are you okay? Do you wanna talk?" Elle wiggled the doorknob, but didn't persist.

"No. I'm okay." I said clearing my throat and wiping away the tears that had escaped. "I'm just gunna go to bed. Good night!" There was a long pause.

"O- okay. Goodnight, Missy." I waited until I heard her footsteps fade, before clambering to my feet and walking to my mirror. I froze at what I saw.