Gaia

XXI

XXI

A figure of wisdom. Hope. Ain't she so relentless? Covering us with her grace.  Those beautiful violets, soothing tussles in the expanse of her meadows. It's time move to a place where there are no shadows. A journey for new beginnings is ticking-tocking...

***

Ray

Still and quiet this morning went by.

  My vision waved past me and my legs nearly gave away if I hadn't leaned on the wall. I paused in thought, looking down at my soaked feet, caked in black mud. Perhaps, I dropped a glass of water from my night table. But there it stood, neatly next to me, half full—it wasn't toppled. I smoothed around the glass cup and rubbed my fingers together and felt my thin calluses from playing my guitar and a light layer of dust mites. Maybe it rained last night, and I didn't notice. It didn't explain the dirt under my feet. There were no glass shards or pitter-pattering of rain. Sitting in the corner of my bed, I turned over my boots. The soles were clean of crud and it smelled of air freshener and baby powder.

  I didn't sleepwalk, did I?

  My breath stilled, chilling my twisted imagination. Caught into a trap—a trail of shoe prints traced from my bedroom door to my window, bigger than my size. The sun blazed, coating half my face in gold, cascading the tracks of mud. My cheeks pulled back tight, marveling in anticipation. I hurried my legs to sprint downstairs, yelling about a break-in. Five minutes later, Michael's Dad, the Sheriff came to look into my room. He hunched his back, pointing his gun, and slammed the door.

  Hollywood be shamed, nothing like the real thing to get your blood pumping.

  Screeching came from inside, followed by vibrations, and flapping from my exhaust.

  "All clear. You should oil the closet door. There's no one here." Michael's Dad, Enrique said.

  He shrugged and sighed. His brows wrinkled and put away his gun.

  I know what I saw! I'm not crazy.

  "Don't look at me like that, Ray. I know you think you saw something again, but maybe you've been watching one too many horror movies."

  I wanted to stop him. Tell him to turn back, to keep looking, show him I wasn't lying or being crazy. But I could see my parents were tired. They were getting more like that every year. I should have kept my mouth shut.

  "You should get some sleep, goodnight Mr. and Mrs. Tristani. Have a good night." Michael's Dad said, tipping his police hat at my parents and me.

  Goodnight? But it's daylight... Moonlight trickled down the entrance of my home, saying hello Ray! You lost track of time again, didn't you?