Chapter One: Why We All Move

• Dedicated to All My Readers and Fans

Thank you to AngelOfMusicForEver for the wonderful book cover you made me.

**************************

Chapter ONE: WHY WE All Moved

My name is Mark Morris. I am Thirty three years old, with dark hair and blue eyes. I am a lawyer in North Carolina and I haven't lived here very long. I used to live and work in Texas with my partner Keith Kenmore. Melody his wife is a really sweet lady and a wonderful cook and mother. I was always over there for dinner. I couldn't get enough of her good home cooked meals. Their daughter Tammy is in College here in North Carolina. She's studying to be a secretary like her mom.

So, you may be wondering how we all came to be here. He and his wife decided to move to North Carolina to be closer to Tammy. His health had been going downhill since he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Tammy was so close to finishing school they didn't want her to leave. And she would have because she loves her family. Keith still wanted to practice law. We were partners, and wanted to stay together as a team, so I decided to make the move with them to North Carolina. I wanted to move anyway. I needed a change. My mom had just passed away and my dad had been gone for a long time now. I just couldn't live in that house all by myself. There were too many memories in it. North Carolina sounded like a nice place to make a fresh start.

**************************

(Flash Back)

Before We Moved From Texas

I remember how I felt the day Keith found out that he had cancer and when he told me. I was shocked. He looked so healthy. I mean, he had gained a little weight, and we all joked about that, saying it was because of Melody's wonderful cooking, but other than the weight he put on you couldn't tell anything was wrong with him. He was his jolly old self. I was just plain shocked.

(End Of Flashback)

Back In North Carolina

So here we are; in North Carolina. Tammy found us a nice set of condominiums side by side so that I can be near her folks. Keith and I ride to work together most of the time now. That way he can save his strength and it saves on the gas bill too. He just doesn't have the energy to drive much anymore. He has been going through a lot of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

I know that it can be rough because my grandmother had to go through the same type of treatments when she had cancer. It was very distressing. She didn't want to eat much because she got sick a lot of the time, especially after eating. It is sad to see my best friend and role model of a father going through all of this.

I think of him as my father because my dad died when I was a baby. I never got to know him. I never had any male relatives to be a role model for me because my mom was an only child and my dad's family didn't like her, and they had nothing to do with us. My mom was an only parent raising a boy all by herself. Her mother was a workaholic up until she got sick. We never saw her much until we cared for her then she died. Since she and grandpa were divorced he had moved away. Where I don't know, because he married a second time and was so busy with his wife he didn't keep in touch. When I was younger he would show up once in a blue moon but that ended as I got older.

Enough talk about my family connections and why I am closer to my partner and his family.

We've managed to find a really nice old house to convert into our Law office. It's not really new working here for Keith. In fact we already have some clients. He had to come down to help Tammy's friend's parents with some problems and that led to more clients which made it easy to get started. That's another good reason for moving here. I had to stay in the office at the time while he went to handle their problems. I couldn't go because I was in the middle of a case. It would have been a nice little site seeing trip. It really would have been nice to get to see Tammy and visit with her. Oh well, you can't have everything your way. Melody has had to be our secretary and interior decorator since coming here. She's getting tired though and keeps yelling for an assistant. I feel mean because I know she has so much on her shoulders but we keep putting her off because we are secretly waiting for Tammy to graduate. We want her to come and work for us. Her graduation isn't far off.

I can't wait to see Tammy. She has been busy with finals and staying at her dorm so I haven't seen her yet. The last time she came to Texas to visit her parents she had turned into a very beautiful young woman. It was amazing to see the changes in her. She has long black hair, with the deepest blue eyes I have ever seen and a very nice figure to boot. I just couldn't believe it was the same person who left and went to College. She was a scrawny young woman when she went off to school. Before she went I had just joined her dad's Law firm and later became his partner. She couldn't come home to see her parents very much when we were still in Texas because she was always studying or working. She supported herself through College because she wanted to be independent. When she did manage to get home I was always gone on a case or visiting friends.

A little later

I have seen her now! In fact I have seen her twice since we all have moved down here. She's everything I remembered her being and more.

*************************************************************

Author's Note: Well I had to scrap the story by this title. I had written myself into a hole and couldn't go anywhere with it. I'm trying something new and hope my followers and readers will enjoy the new story. I think I'm going to do OK with this one. I hope so anyway.

Hope to hear all your comments and if you see any mistakes point them out so I can fix them. I know this is a short chapter, but hey, it's only the beginning. Read and enjoy. That is what reading is all about. Tigger

P.S. Don't forget to vote or comment.