𝘃. chapter five.

Start from the beginning

James smiled, the thought giving all three boys a few moments of pleasure.

After a while, Sirius spoke up. "Is Moony still at his Prefects' meeting? I thought it would have ended by now."

James nodded. "It probably has. Maybe he can't find our compartment. We are sitting in a different part of the train. Those fucking first years keep stealing our seats."

"I'll find him," Sirius volunteered, slipping out of the compartment. He had to slide past a group of giggling fourth year girls, one of whom blushed as he passed. He shot her a quick flirty smile, before moving along. He'd just spotted Remus at the other end of the train when a voice called him.

"Black! There you are! You're perfect!"

Startled, he turned around and came face to face with Lily Evans. Had she spoken those words to him? It wasn't possible. 'You're perfect' were the last words he ever expected Evans to say. Yet there she was, smiling at him and looking relieved.

"Are you talking to me?" Sirius asked, doubtfully.

"Of course! I need you to do me a favor. Will you go to Slughorn's Christmas party with me?"

Sirius almost choked. A fifth year pushed past him, and he banged into a compartment door before straightening himself up. "Excuse me?"

Lily sighed in exasperation, looking more like her usual self. "Really Black, are you thick? I just asked if you'll go to Slughorn's Christmas party with me. It's tonight, after dinner. I completely forgot, so I don't even have a date."

Sirius was still bewildered. "So, why are you asking me? James would jump at the opportunity to go to a party with you. If you haven't noticed already, which I highly doubt, he fancies you."

"I know. I don't want to give him the satisfaction. If I ask him to go on one date, he'll start acting like I'm his girlfriend. But I can't go dateless either, I'll look stupid. So what do you say?" she asked, looking almost desperate.

"Sorry, Evans. I can't go on a date with the girl my best mate fancies."

Lily groaned. "Black, come on! All the boys I know already have dates. Just as friends. I'll make it up to you, I promise."

"How will you make it up to me?"

"Erm... well, the next time you and your mates get into detention, I'll make sure you're let off. How does that sound?"

Sirius raised his eyebrows. It wasn't a bad deal but he wanted to see how far he could push her. "The next five times we get into detention, you let us off."

"What? That's absurd."

"It's all I'm offering, take it or leave it. And I'll also have to talk to James. If he doesn't consent, the agreement is cancelled."

Lily hesitated for a few moments, before finally giving in. "Fine. Only because I'm desperate. Potter's your friend, so you can handle him yourself. Meet me in the common room at 7 before dinner. And for Merlin's sake, don't be late."

☁️ 🥀 ✨

            Briar frowned at herself in the mirror, looking at her dress. It was an off white off the shoulders dress, reaching her thighs, close to her knees. Modest and not too overdone, she let loose her platinum hair and began braiding it.

           "I hope you're not getting dressed up like that just for dinner," commented Gemma Prince. She was one of Briar' fellow sixth –year Slytherins, as well as a dorm-mate. Despite being rather big-mouthed and having an unhealthy taste for gossip, Briar had never disliked her. Her family status wasn't very high, though. "People will stare."