Chapter 29 ~ Violet

Start from the beginning

"Vile, you're dead meat!" Giggling in response I turn my head back to him for a second to playfully stick my tongue out while making sure I keep running.

"You'll have to catch me first!" It just so happens that I like running, so all those days of waking up early have come in handy as I have yet to feel the familiar burn in my chest. However, it seems I am not as fast as he is as after a couple of minutes he manages to grasp my hands behind my back, dropping the breakfast bowls in the process.

"Ha! Told you I'd catch you!" His chest heaves up in down as he tries to catch his breath and I try to cat my own breath. Our bodies are touching and I can feel his warm breath against my ear as we both burst out laughing. Once we stop laughing I step away from his grasp as I realize how close we are then make my way over to the bowls on the ground and kneel to pick them up.

"Hey, why are these empty?" I hold up the bowls that were once full of cereal in his direction and he smiles as he rubs his belly.

"I got hungry." My eyebrows rise in shock and I look at him with a look of disbelief on my face.

"You ate two bowls of cereal because you were hungry?"

"Yep! Running really works up an appetite and I'm a growing boy!" I shake my head in defeat and in answer his smile widens.

"Only you, Mule. Only you." Just when I think that the moment has passed, his smiles changes and becomes mischievous as he steps closer to me. Subconsciously, I take a step back as the sight of his smile causes goosebumps to form on my arms as a sense of foreboding starts creeping into my stomach.

"Well that was fun, but we should head back to Dilan!" Before I can walk past him however, he grabs my arm and pulls me back.

"You can't leave yet, I still have to hand out your punishment." Uh oh. Violet it was nice knowing you.

"Alright, bring it on!" His mischievous smile widens as he closes the gap between us and pats me on the shoulder.

"That's the spirit!" All of a sudden my vision is flipped upside down as I realize that Samuel has grabbed me and is carrying me over his shoulder.

"Wha- hey let me down!" I smack his back repeatedly, but he doesn't let me go and instead he starts laughing maniacally.

"No can do, Vile! You're going for a swim!"

"No I'm not! Put me down!" Refusing to let me go he starts walking in the direction of the river before we hear someone clear their throat behind us. From my angle all I can see is a pair of boats which is the only indicator that the new arrival is female.

"Hey Flare!" No way! Out of all people. Sorry Violet looks like you really are done for.

"What's going on here?" Flare demands, but I think the blood rushing to my head is killing my senses because I can hear amusement in her voice.

"Nothing much. We're just hanging around! Well Violet is doing most of the hanging, but y'know." I internally face palm as I smack his back and I hear him grunt in pain, but it doesn't seem like Flare is mad at us.

"While I do support your hanging around," I swear the way she stresses those words sounds like she's holding back from laughing, but that's ridiculous since this is Flare we're talking about. "I need to talk to you guys. Can you guys stop by the Oath Bound office with Dilan in about five minutes?"

At this news Samuel seems shocked as his back straightens rigidly and he nods his head repeatedly. "Um, uh yeah! Sure!" Nice one.

"Alright, see you soon." This time I could hear the smile in her voice and I watch her boots as she walks away in shock. Did Flare just smile?