OCHO

Catalina stood at the sink, washing the dishes that her family had used for breakfast

Catalina stood at the sink, washing the dishes that her family had used for breakfast. Elena sat at the kitchen table, finishing her Spanish homework that should have been done the night before. "C'mon, Elena. You've gotta be at school in fifteen minutes" She said, wiping down the last plate before putting it up. "But I'm not finished yet" Elena exclaimed as EZ came into the room, "Papí, tell her I need more time!" Ezekiel turned to his girlfriend and shrugged as he poured himself a cup of coffee, "She needs more time." "See!" Elena said.

"If you would've done your homework last night, we wouldn't be in this situation now, mija" Catalina said, sitting down across from her daughter. "I shouldn't even have to be in a Spanish class. I already know Spanish. It's those damn LA Mexicans who need a lesson!" She said, continuing to finish the worksheet. "Elena!" Ezekiel scolded his daughter as Catalina made a noise and popped her hand. "Swear jar!" She said. "I don't have a dollar" Elena said. "Well then you'll have to find one, I don't care! Where did that come from? Who's talking like that around you?" Catalina asked. "Uncle Angel" Elena answered.

"Of course" EZ shook his head, "Well don't listen to Uncle Angel 'cuz he's an idiot." Now she was the one scolding EZ. "What he means is Angel can say that because he's an adult. And you're a kid. So you can't talk like that for like fifteen more years" She corrected, standing and pushing her chair in. "I'm done now" Elena said, putting her homework and pencil in her bag. "Good. Let's go" Catalina said. She then looked down and realized that she wasn't even dressed yet. EZ noticed too. He put down his mug and pushed himself off of the counter.

"I can take her" He insisted, "It'd give you time to take a shower and get dressed." "Yeah, can he? I want to ride on the motorcycle. All the other kids get jealous" Elena added. "Yes. That's really helpful. Thank you, Ezekiel" She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him passionately. The two kissed for longer than expected. It had nearly turned into a full makeup session before Elena pushed in between the two, grabbing her father's hand. "We're gonna be late" She said, dragging him out of the kitchen.

"Don't forget your helmet!" EZ had bought Elena her own helmet. They went and picked it out together. It was white and had purple designs and butterflies on it. What Catalina liked about it is that it had a face-shield. Elena ran down the hallway to her room. "After I drop her off, I'm gonna check on Letty. I figured you'd need to check her wounds" He said. "Yeah. I'm just gonna hop in the shower real quick and then I'll get my kit ready" She nodded. She came out seconds later with the helmet already on.

Ezekiel swooped his child up in his arms, throwing her over his shoulders. "Let's go kid" He said, walking out of the door. "Bye, mamí" Elena had a huge smile on her face as she waved goodbye to her Mom. "Goodbye, mi amor" Catalina blew her daughter a big kiss. Once they were gone, she got in the shower, quickly washing her hair and her body. She wrapped her hair in a towel as she dressed in jeans a black t-shirt, and black combat boots. As her hair dried, she put some antiseptic, gauze, and tape into her crossbody bag.