Chapter 45: The Holding Room (Jed)

Start from the beginning

A knock sounded on the door. I glanced that way as Axil poked his head into the room.

"I brought food."

I shook my head. "When are you going to learn stress and food don't mix well with me."

"I was hoping you might try eating a bit." He put the tray on the coffee table in front of the couch and sat down on the floor. "If you don't start eating more, turning into a werewolf is going to turn you into a bag of bones. We have to eat more than humans."

With a sigh, I laid my head on the back of the couch. "Hopefully, my life calms down. It's been one thing after another leading up to this point."

"If it makes you feel better, I saw your siblings."

I let out a huff. "Great my little sister gets to see me naked. What a glamorous life I live."

"Well, cover up." Axil climbed to his feet and went to the door. "Some people are waiting in the hall to see you.

Pulling my knees to my chest, I made sure nothing was showing. My mate opened the door.

My eyes grew wide. They came. "Mom?"

She stepped into the room followed by my father. Bowing my head, I didn't know what to do. Did she come to yell at me again? Were they still mad?

"I... I didn't think you would come."

My mother walked over and sat down on the edge of the couch at my side. She hugged me.

I couldn't hold it in and the tears started to fall as I wrapped my arms around her. "I'm so sorry. Please, forgive me. I'm trying. I really am trying to make up for what I did."

She cupped my face. "I know. You've proven that." She glanced at my shoulder. "This was hard for you. I know that, and what I said to you was out of anger. I was mad that you left us. I couldn't deal with it, but Jax helped me put things into perspective." She touched my mark. "You do this because of me, because of what I said?"

I nodded. "I wanted us to be a family again. I did everything because I wanted us to be together." I wiped my face. "They were going to send Ricky and me away. I was so scared I never see any of you again."

She pressed my head to her shoulder and rocked from side to side. "I know. I know."

"I thought that would be the end. Running was the only chance I had to maybe help us escape one day. I'm sorry I left you. I should have found a way to take Jax. I regret leaving him, I do."

"Shh... it's okay." She tucked my head under her chin. "Because of you, Jax found Maximus. He's healed and doing so well." She smiled at me and wiped my face with his thumb. "I want the same for you. I want you to be happy here in Wolfsbane. Kind of scary to think one of you ended up here, but your mate seems like a good man."

"Axil the typical overprotective dominant. It's like bred into them or something."

The werewolf in the corner scoffed and shook his head.

"So"—she took a deep breath—"are you getting nerves? Do you want anything?"

"Mom, you're fretting over me like you do Jax."

She pulled the blanket back up over my shoulders. "You've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm hoping this isn't normal or it's going to be really hard to leave you here."

"We're going to fatten him up a bit," said Axil. "Don't worry."

I peeked at my dad who stood to the side. "Dad?"

He stood with his arms folded, swaying from side to side. "Why did you do it, Jed? I know why." He waved his hands in the air. "But Jed, how could you do this? We would have worked it out. I would have fought to have them bring Ricky and you back to the farm."