Chapter 17

It was time. Both of us knew it. I had spent all day at Jake's house with him. However, as the sun started to lower in the sky we knew we had to get ready. Edward had sent Alice to inform us that Bella had been spreading her scent all over the woods, with drops of blood on the trees to confuse the hunters. Alice wasn't sure if it would work or not, but at this point I was clinging onto any kind of hope. And I knew that so was Jake.
           As soon as Alice had left we were getting things packed and ready. However, to my surprise Alice had brought me a few warm clothes from my closet and a blanket. It was nice of her to do that and I of course thanked her for that. Pulling hat down more I gathered up my spilling out hair and swiftly put into a messy bun. Then I gathered up my small backpack of items and followed Jake out to his car.
After what felt like a lifetime we finally pulled up alongside Edward's fancy jeep and I glanced over at my boyfriend who was not thrilled about this in the slightest. I let out a sigh and placed my hand over his.
"Easy wolf boy, I promise you I'll be fine". I smiled and got out of the car. There was my sister tangled around Edward's arms lips pressed up against his. Seeing them make out gave me a very uneasy feeling. It was almost like he was devoring her and like she was grasping for more air from him. I rolled my eyes and leaned up on Jake's car hood as he interlaced my fingers with his. A few more seconds passed before my sister even noticed that we had shown up. When she happened to glance over our way she jumped from Edward's grip and blushed. Then she walked up to Jake and he pulled her into a hug. Edward came to join us and as he did he nodded at me. I flashed him a very small smile and mimicked his nod.
"Did you sleep last night?" Bella asked me as I hugged her.
"No, how could I? I was on edge all night". I replied.
"I....couldn't sleep either. Too much on my mind".
I nodded my head. "I second that".
"Are you both ready?" Edward asked interrupting our conversation. Looking up at the blue gray sky then back down at him I nodded my head.
   "As ready as I'll be".
"Good". Edward turned to Jacob. "Have you heard from Cody?"
Jake nodded. "He'll meet us up there later. He had something he had to take care of first, but don't worry he'll be here". Jake stated firm. His eyes were dead locked at Edward. Staring him down and letting him know that he was not playing around, he was serious about this.
"I will take your word for it, Jacob". Edward stated turning away from Jake and back to Bella. Bella sighed as she jumped on Ed's back and within a minute they were gone. Vanished. I knew that they were fast, but I didn't know that they were that fast.
"Holy crap"
"Show off". Jake mumbled under his breath. I smiled up at him.
"Jealous?"
Jake just rolled his eyes then he grabbed onto me and pulled me up into his arms so that he was bridel style carrying me. I jumped and put my arms around his neck as my cheeks erupted into flames.
"Woah, what are you doing?"
A smirk formed upon Jake's face making me grab hold of his neck tighter. "Hang on Alex".
"Hang-" I was unable to get the rest of the words out of my mouth just as Jake stpped back then took off running through the woods and up the mountain. Completely terrifted and shocked both at the same time I closed my eyes straight away as the wind beat against my pale skin.
Running up the hill had felt like an adrenaline rush. Like diving out of an airplane and as someone who was afraid of heights it was not a comforting feeling to have.
"You can open your eyes, Alex". Jake stated as I could feel the wind beating against me stop dead in its tracks. I slowly opened my eyes and pulled myself out of Jake's arms, but not away from him. It was nearly freezing out and though I had on almost three layers I was still cold. Jake could sense that and I felt him nuzzle his body closer to mine. One of the many precks of having a warm blooded bf over a colder then normal one anyday.
"So what now?" I asked no one in particular.
"We will set up camp here for the night". Edward stated. Jake rolled his eyes and went to work with setting up a tent. I could tell that Jake was less then thrilled to be sharing a tent with his enemy, but with everything that was going on he didn't really have much of a choice. Edawrd wasn't going to leave Bella again. Especially with Victoria and her new born army on their way here. And I couldn't blame him. If I was him I wouldn't leave Bella either. I mean how could he?
As night began to fall Jake and Cody had come back from gathering more supplies and as the snow started to come down I pulled the blanket tighter around my body. I should have been cuddled up in the tent trying to get some sleep, but I just couldn't bring myself to sleep.
I let out a sigh as Jake sat down behind me and then wrapped his big arms around me.
"Its too cold for you to be out here. You should be getting some sleep".
"I know, but I just cant..". Jake re adjusted himself to be by my side. He kissed the top of my head and I laid my head on his bare chest.
"But this helps with the cold". I added.
Jake smiled.
"hopefully it can help your sister. I can hear her teeth chattering from out here". I let out a laugh as Cody could hear the noise too and he retreated into the tent. After a few mintues Jake let out a breath and glanced over my shoulder at the tent. Hopefully Cody would keep my sister warm. I know Edward wished that he could have been the one to do, but if having someone else do it meant that she would safe then he would learn to live with it.
"Jake". I sighed looking up. "About tom-"
Jake sighed and cupped my face between his hands. "I promised you that I stay safe, Alex and I meant it". I let out a sigh. "But you have to promise me that you'll be safe".
Nodding my head I pulled the blanket closer to me and laid my head on his shoulder.
"I promise". And I meant it. While I did not like Jake going off to fight the newborns I had to set those fears aside. Afterall Jake was doing this for us. For me. For Bella. He was doing this protect us and I knew that he would be safe, especially with the other guys looking out for him. They were a pack. A family and they would be looking out for one another.
"You better get back inside". Jake stood up from the cliff side. Nodding I took his hand and followed Jake back into the tent. Edward's head jolted up from glancing at Bella and he nodded to me. Cody smiled and me sweetly and I smiled back.
Cody was still a new player in this story to me. I did not know much about him or his personality, but Jake had told me that he was a decent guy, didn't really mind the Cullens. Which made me and Bella more relaxed. Having him around could keep the tension between Jake and Ed at bay was just want we needed with everything going on.
"I guess its really not the best time for this but whatever". Cody stated glancing up at me. "Im Cody. Cody Tanner". Jake rolled his eyes at Cody's introduction as he wrapped himself around me. I giggled and took Cody's hand.
"Nice to meet you Cody. I'm Alex Swan". He smiled and looked over at Jake. Cody brushed his dark hair out of his face.
"So your Jake's girl I take it?"
"You guessed it".
Cody nodded. "How'd that happen?" Edward laughed at his statement which uttered a growl from Jake. I placed my hand on Jake's hand.
"Its late". Jake stated pulling me to the ground. Blushing I looked up at Jake. He looked down at me and kissed the top of my head. "Alex needs sleep".
"Your no fun Jake". Cody stated. Edward uttered another laugh.
"Jacob's correct". Edward said agreeing with Jake. "Alex and Bella both need to rest. Tomorrow is going to be a tiring day for both of them". Jake turned his gaze away from me and stared up at Edward. As I glanced between them something was clearly different in their exchange. I always knew that Jake and Edward did not like each other, hate was more like it, espcailly from Jake's side, but in the last few weeks things had started to change. The impounding danger affecting both me and Bella made them begin to realize that they had to set aside their anger and work together to protect us. And that made me and Bella both happy. To see them trying to get along for us was a feeling that brought a smile to my lips as I drifted off.

Quite a long chapter, but hey nothing wrong with that.