Chapter 12

My breathing stopped as did my body.
Jake...
He was risking his life..
To keep me safe.
To keep me alive..
To protect me from all this madness.
I could not stop myself from what happened next. My legs gave way and I crumpled to the ground. Jake was there in a flash to grab hold of me. His warmth took hold as he lifted me up and carried me to the front steps of the Cullen's house. He leaned me up against the wooden column then handed me his dad's jacket. Pulling it tightly against me I glanced up at the stars and let out a breath that I had been holding back.
"You know as a kid I used to wish about fighting creatures of the night. I dreamed I would be the greatest warrior in the world and that all the women would love me". Jake joked trying to make me feel better. Sighing out of lack of response he looked up at the stars too and inched closer to me.
"Alex, I know you don't want me to fight, but I have to. I made a promise to the pack when I phased to protect our lands from danger and I have to honor that promise". Jake pleaded with me. I still couldn't bring myself to meet his gaze as he looked over at me. I let out a sigh. I understood that he had to honor his pack's honor code, but even still...
"Jake can you just take me home". Was all I said standing up. Jake nodded his head and stood up, then led us to his motorcycle.
Though the ride from the Cullen's to my house was loud as can be from the wind running by us, I could feel the tension surrounding us coming from a mile awhile. I knew that I did not want to leave things like this tonight and as we pulled up to Charlie's house I didn't let go of Jake as he shut off his bike.
"Alex-"
"Jake, promise me that you will be okay"
Jake smiled and pulled us off of the bike. He then took my chin and brought it close to his. Then he brushed his lips against mine. I could feel myself melting away as Jake pulled away.
"I will do everything that I can to come back alive. I promise you".
"Jake, thank you".
Jake grinned and led us up to Charlie's door.
"I guess I should go". I shook my head and laid my head against his chest.
"You could always come back through my window later".
Jake chuckled and kissed my cheek. Then pulled himself away from the front porch.
"I have patrol to do and you need sleep, Alex. Besides you'll see me tomorrow morning".
I raised an eybrow at him. I wasn't aware that we had made plans for tomorrow. Unless we did and I had forgotten. "Tomorrow morning?"
"You'll see". Jake winked. "Get some rest, Alex". And with that I waved goodbye to Jake as he sped away on his motorcycle and rushed up the stairs and slipped off my dress and into my comfy Pjs. Then laid my head on my pillow and waited for sleep to overtake me.

***

It was nearly ten by time I had woken up. My mind was still racing from what had happened the night before that I just wanted to crawl back into bed and not face the day, but I didn't have a choice. I had said that I would be ready for whatever strange adventure that Jake had planned for us. Even if I didn't want to go.
Especially if it was dangerous.
Jake had promised me that he would come back safe and alive from the fight with the newborns, but the aching feeling in my chest said otherwise. I knew that he could handle his own. I mean he showed me that with Paul and when he apparently ripped apart a vampire who was about to kill Bella last fall, but even still. I was worried. Scared even. And I had every right to be.
Putting on fresh clothes I let out a loud sigh and closed my bedroom door behind me. Then I slowly stepped down the stairs to once again find an empty house. Charlie being gone most mornings wasn't a surprise. He normally went in for work early on the weekends, but my sister being gone this early was news to me. I just shrugged my shoulders as a knock sounded at the door. I walked out of the kitchen and went over to it and was very surprised to see Edward at my door. He was dressed pretty causly and that seemed to off to me. I clearly remembered Bella telling me that they all dressed ancient, but with style. A gray zip up and black jeans were anything but stylish. I crossed my arms over my chest.
"What do you want?" I questioned him.
"Bella asked me to pick you up". He answered.
"Well I have plans already so I cant go". I stated.
Edward smiled. "I know".
"How could you possibly know what I'm doing today? I didn't even tell Bella what I'm doing. And if I'm being honest here its none of your damn business". I said raising my voice. What the hell was his problem? And how the hell did he know what I was doing today anyway?
"Jacob can explain everything to you once we arrive".
Jacob? What the heck was going on?
"So now Jake's involved?"
"You were planning on meeting him for training this morning, correct?"
Training? For what?
"Training?"
Edward smiled. "Would you please get in, Alex. I would prefer to not anger your boyfriend". I let out a groan and quickly grabbed a pair of shoes from inside, then followed Ed to his car and got in.

Sorry for the wait. I had projects to finish.