Chapter 4: Feeling

Start from the beginning

In the past Izaya always hid behind a fake smile, even when he was stabbed he just smiled and waited to see who would take advantage of the opportunity and try to kill him.

He bottled up his feelings and nobody ever got too close to him. Izaya was a ticking time bomb when he challenged Shizuo to their last fight, he was angry, sad, and frustrated.

Shizuo was angry and had brute strength but he had friends and family who cared about him. All Izaya got was lousy parents and two sisters who hated his guts.

It wasn't fair, at all. Shizuo yelled at everyone who got on his nerves. Hell, he even beat people up as his job! Izaya didn't think it was fair that Shizuo got everything he wanted for himself.

Of course Izaya didn't feel that jealousy anymore, but he did remember what it felt like. He didn't like it, the memory of an emotion but not being able to feel it.

The world was cruel.

-------------

"Iza nii-chan! I drew a picture of you!" Yuu announced proudly at the ex-informant. Izaya looked at the drawing faked a smile like he always did around the kids in the orphanage.

"Wow it looks just like me! Good job Yuu!" He praised the little boy. Yuu giggled and went to go draw another picture for Izaya. Izaya sighed as he looked at the picture, another one to add to the fridge.

'Sakura's fridge is going to be full of pictures by the time this is over.' Izaya thought as he watched Yuu draw another picture for him.

Yuu insisted for Izaya to play with him every day. Yui never argued with him because Yuu usually kept quiet when he wanted something, she was happy that he spoke up for a change.

Izaya was used to the 6 years old's constant presence, he didn't mind it actually. He found that his smiles toward Yuu were slowly becoming less fake and he actually enjoyed his company.

Yuu poked Izaya's side. "Iza nii-chan can you draw me a picture this time? I always make you things and I want something too..." He asked shyly.

Izaya ruffled Yuu's hair, "Sure kiddo. What do you want me to draw?" He asked, grabbing a pencil and paper. He watched as Yuu thought of something.

"Oh! Yui told me about du-dulla... hans?" Yuu struggled to remember the name.

Izaya smiled. "A dullahan? Want me to draw one?" He asked, already getting an image of what to draw. Yuu nodded and sat in Izaya's lap.

Izaya started drawing while Yuu watched. The little boy was in awe of how good Izaya could draw, but was confused as to why the dullahan had a helmet and motorcycle.

When Izaya finished the drawing, Yuu was shocked. Izaya drew the picture so well that it looked real. He looked over the picture in awe of how talented Iza nii-chan was.

The drawing was a headless woman in a black riding outfit. She was holding up a motorcycle and had a yellow and black helmet (with things that looked like cat ears on it) under her arm.

It looked so lifelike and Yuu was so happy. "Iza nii-chan! You're so good at drawing! Are you sure I can keep it?" He asked, stars in his eyes.