I . Of Blood and Tears

— ☽ —

— ☽ —

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝟩𝟧𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘢𝘳𝘺 𝘑𝘶𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘦, 𝘙𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘥𝘢𝘭𝘦

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 peaceful Sunday morning. The sun had risen fairly early on Riverdale's snowy rooftops, to meet only a few birds spinning from tree to tree, happily whistling. The town's large houses were for the most part pretty quiet after a night of celebration that had sent everyone to bed fairly late.

So yes, you could say it was a peaceful Sunday morning in Riverdale — if it wasn't for an only truck, clumsily slaloming in the streets at breakneck speed on the irregular icy patch that was covering the tarmac.

Behind the wheel, a fifteen-year-old redhead with no driver's license whatsoever was doing his best to go as fast as possible without sending the truck he was trying to drive flying into the ditch. He turned his head hastily to look at the backseat, where his sister and father were being thrown repeatedly against the car's walls with every move of the wheel.

Lilli Andrews ignored his look and pressed her now soaked red shirt harder on her father's stomach, holding him tightly against her. The man's shortness of breath was making his chest rise and fall quickly as he fought not to close his eyes.

"You're gonna be fine Dad," she whispered in a quavering voice, her hand resting on his cheek.

Another uncontrolled turn sent them both against the car's wall again, causing Fred Andrews to grunt in pain and Lilli to scream "Archie!"

"I'm sorry — hold on!" Archie exclaimed, trying to make the truck follow the road. "We'll be there in a minute, stay with us Dad!"

The twins' father grunted in pain as an answer and Lilli closed her eyes for a second, chasing the tears that kept trying to find their way out and run down her cheeks. When she opened them again, her gaze shifted to her right hand, still resting on the man's stomach. Her lips pinched at the sight of the blood that had spread everywhere. With a move from her other hand, she unconsciously wiped some more that kept dripping in her left eye.

"We're almost there Dad, they're gonna fix you up," Archie said.

Lilli rested her cheek on her father's forehead, clutching to him like he was clutching to his life, unable to think properly. Everything was blurry in her mind besides one thing — they needed to get to the hospital on time. Because if they didn't...

Before she even realised it, Archie made one last harsh turn of the wheel and braked abruptly in front of Riverdale's hospital. Barely taking the time to turn the engine off, he jumped off of the truck and hastily folded the driver's seat to let his sister come out and help her get their father in turn.