II . Time to Wake Up

— ☽ —

— ☽ —

The drive home was quiet. Lilli didn't feel like talking anyway. Her head was resting on the cold window of the car, bumping slightly against the glass with every small hump in the road. Her gaze absent-mindedly brushed the icy road and white trees that went by too quickly for her eyes to settle, and she willingly ignored the occasional glances that she could feel coming from Alice Cooper's aquamarine eyes in the rearview mirror.

Her mind was numb. She was tired, so tired. On top of that she had no keys, no phone, no wallet, no nothing that were all waiting for her in her coat that had stayed at Pop's inadvertently when the Andrews had rushed to the hospital. This was one of the reasons why Betty Cooper had put herself in charge of ensuring the communication between the twins, on top of just taking care of her unusually quiet friend.

While Lilli was on her way home with the Coopers, her twin Archie and his girlfriend Veronica were on their way back to the hospital. It was only a matter of minutes now before Fred Andrews' room would be ready to welcome visitors. And though it was killing her not to be there on time to see her father, she was relieved that at least her brother was.

A shiver made her hug tightly against her body the yellow, blue and now partly red varsity jacket Archie had covered her with earlier. The car slowed until it stopped completely and Lilli, completely lost in her thoughts, wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for her best friend who turned towards her from the passenger seat with a gentle smile on her face.

"We're here Lil," Betty said softly, her hand going for a little squeeze on the girl's knee.

Lilli sat up straight, her brown eyes scanning the familiar neighborhood she had spent her entire life in. Alice Cooper had parked in front of her own house, that was located just across the street from the Andrews'.

"Just call me whenever you're ready to leave, ok?" the woman told her daughter, glancing towards her backseat passenger through the rearview mirror again.

Lilli's eyes finally crossed hers in the reflection and she gave her a thankful smile.

"Thank you Mrs Cooper."

"Of course sweetie."

The brunette exited the car and crossed the snowy bitumen, her feet guiding her towards the yellow house she called home. After climbing up the 8 steps that separated the porch from the street, the screeching sound of paws and strong claws against the wood floor of her house reached Lilli's ears. A wave of warmth invaded her body and she rushed towards a little pot - in which a barely living plant was fighting against the cold and lack of water - to grab the spare key that Fred Andrews had hidden underneath, just in case.

As soon as she opened the front door, a huge ball of golden fluff ran to her feet, rubbing against the girl's ruined jeans.

"Hey big boy, hi," Lilli welcomed him, kneeling down immediately to burry her face in his warm fur. The dog didn't refrain on his excitement and was happily trying to jump on his young owner, licking with his large tongue every apparent bit of skin of hers.