Chapter 17: Prince Broderick Lumos III

On the way back to my temporary rooms in the Manor, I'm stopped by General Petaram. His earthen appearance is enhanced by the dappled light in this hallway. He stands at attention, still treating me as his superior even though I get the distinct feeling that he plans to talk down to me. I straighten up with a nod and say, "General Petaram. It's wonderful to meet you, finally." He sweeps into a quick bow, but straightens quickly. "Your father requests your presence." His hair seems a bit windswept and I realize he ran to find me. I nod my thanks and set off in the direction of my father's room. General Petaram follows at a respectable distance. I realize that it's probably a security measure. After all, Madame Venita was attacked in this very Manor at the same time as our attacks.

As we weave through the winding hallways, I strike up a conversation with the general. "So, General Petaram, what brings you back from the war front?" He clears his throat before speaking, "If everything goes according to the plan your father has laid out, my services in the war will no longer be needed. As such, it was decided that my help is worth more in enacting this plan rather than fighting the war." I nod in understanding. The war with our neighbor nation to the south has been raging for a decade, and off and on for decades before, but even I remember a time when we were briefly at peace. If Petaram being here means there's a chance we will return to that, I have no complaints.

"I do believe that I should thank you for your service, General. You have been leading our forces for the better part of ten years, have you not?" He bobs his head with pride. "I have, Prince Broderick. Not one major battle has gone by without me on the front lines." I stop and turn to him, "So when all is said and done, you are the leading authority on the war in all of Regnum?" He thinks for a moment and blusters through his modesty, "I suppose so, sir."

I slowly nod, then continue walking in silence. If my father's plan was to fall through, then the highest ranking authority on the war would return to the front. Would his mind not be of more use as a strategist and advisor? Surely his Petaram brethren can lead in his stead with him back at the Capitol war command? I would have to speak with Father about his strategies and advisors regarding the war.

Once we reach the door to my father's room, I stop the general from opening it. I look him in the eyes and ask him, "General, man to man, I want you to answer a serious strategy question for me." He straightens up and says, "Of course, My Prince." I steel myself and look into the general's eyes as I ask so I can gauge his response without needing words. "General, if you were these assassins, what would your next move be?"

The general looks taken aback, but not altogether shocked. "My Prince, if I was to speak from a strictly war strategy standpoint as is my expertise, I would say that there are exactly three ways this could go from here." He pauses to run a hand through his hair and sigh before counting off on one hand. "The first outcome of these attacks? We killed their best operatives and their attacking force is now crippled beyond compare. Situation number one is that we've already eliminated the threat because they have no functioning strike force." He pauses to think for a moment then says, "The second possible outcome is the same, but instead of fading away, the group simply bides their time, waiting until they've rebuilt all that was destroyed. This is the most likely outcome and will lead to years without an attack, but eventually there will probably be a follow-up nevertheless."

I nod, processing the first two, then notice his hesitation. "General, what is the third outcome?" He winces before counting off the third finger, "The third circumstance is exactly what I would do if I was the one in charge. Knowing that we've killed their best operatives, minus the coldbringer who attacked Madame Venita, the group will reevaluate their tactic in the first two. However, if this is exactly what they planned on, then they already know what's next. Their contingency is already in place."
"What is the point, General?" I ask tapping a foot with impatience. He straightens up and adopts his strict military tone again. "Prince Broderick, I do believe that this group will attempt to strike again, and soon. However, I don't think they will seek to kill any of the previous targets." I don't fully understand, "What do you mean?"

He tilts his head, deep in thought, before spitting out, "Everyone is on edge, on their toes. Rogue Noble Line members, for who else could wield such awesome power, attempted to assassinate every high official here in Laughery, and very nearly succeeded with some. Regnum, nay, the world, is on edge, wondering if the great king of Regnum will become the victim of assassination. Resources, volunteers, bodyguards, all rushing to serve their King, while their families watch beaming with pride. But consider this, while the eyes of the world are on us, perhaps they are looking the wrong way."

I gasp audibly as I realize the implications of what the general is saying. "Are you saying that-" He cuts me off with a hasty hand wave. "Prince Broderick, I am not saying anything for certain. I am merely suggesting that attempts on multiple Noble Lines being made wasn't an accident. The Noble Lines of Divitis and Venita both had attempts made on their leaders putting three Lines at risk, something that is unprecedented other than in war itself. There is almost no chance that this attack was not coordinated purposefully with the visit of Madame Venita and King Lumos." He winces and scratches his head. "If I was to attempt a professional assessment of the situation, my guess would be that this will not be the only attack, and every Noble Line may be at risk."

I charge forward into the temporary war room and quarters my father has commandeered from Governor Divitis. As I throw open the door in my haste, my father and Captain Petaram look up from a map sprawled across a table in perfect war room fashion. The Captain dips his head towards the General, but my father wastes no time on pleasantries. "General, we've sent couriers to the homes of the Noble Lines to warn of possible assassinations, hopefully they arrive in time." I glance at the map and notice that all of the homes of the major Noble Lines have been marked with small flags. I look over at the General and he shrugs, "I already told your father." I approach my father and ask, "What Lines do you think are in danger the most?" My father looks at me like I'm missing something. "Son, we don't know anything about this. We can't possibly know." He gestures to the map and I realize that the flags are also marking every major city, every major government building, and every major point along the war front. Any place that could be a valuable target. There are flags everywhere.