Chapter 5: Willow DeLaughery

"Close the door, child," Grams directs in a panicked tone, rummaging through a chest of books. I follow her instructions and nervously approach her. She is on her knees on the hardwood floor, something that can't be good for her. "Do you need any help looking for something?" I ask timidly.

"No, thank you," she responds almost coldly. I've never seen her this serious before, so I'm not sure what to do or say. Luckily, she finds what she's looking for and exclaims, "Aha! Here it is!" I try to catch a glimpse of what she has found, but she's turning pages in a hardcover book so fast I can barely keep up.

"No..." she murmurs in frustration as she scans the contents of the pages. "No, no, and no. Willow," she snaps, making me jump, "what do you know of your powers?"

I hesitate as I recall what I know I can do. "I can make plants grow at rapid rates, as well as reverse the growing process, and I can make them grow pretty much anywhere."

"That doesn't sound like any kind of Imperium I've ever known," Grams sighs irritably before she gasps, "Unless--no, it couldn't be...not my Willow." She says this mostly to herself, and I assume she forgot I was even here. I tilt my head in confusion. "Imperium?"

"The powers you possess, they're referred to as Imperium," Grams explains before immediately questioning me again. "Is there anything else you know you can do?" I shake my head honestly. That really is all I know. "There are worse powers in that field of Imperium, far worse." Her tone is beginning to scare me. She resumes her digging in the chest and I pluck up the courage to ask, "What kind of powers?"

She turns back to me, her expression grim. "Powers that you should not have to bear, my dear child. You have not only been gifted, but you have also been cursed. If I recall correctly, and I always do, you carry a great burden." I take a step back out of fear, my heart pounding in my chest.

"It's not here!" Grams suddenly yells, standing with ease and slamming the lid of the chest closed. She hurries over to a small table on the other side of the room, now searching these drawers frantically. Confusion overrides my fear and I have to question all logic that has just been defied in my presence. "Grams?" I say, my voice barely a whisper.

She looks at me like she's just seen me for the first time in hours. "Willow, dear," she smiles sweetly, "you look simply beautiful in that dress!" I search her eyes for any sign of insincerity, and find none. She always had been prone to mood changes and forgetfulness.

There is a light knock from the door before my mother opens it with a worried look. "Is everything alright, Mother?" she inquires. Grams nods and laughs softly, "Yes, dear, everything is fine. I just seem to have misplaced my pearls." Mother shifts her gaze to me for confirmation, and all I can do is nod.

Mother looks me over curiously. "Darling, are you feeling ill at all?" she asks, placing the back of her hand on my cheek. "You look pale."

"I'm just fine, Mother," I answer quietly. She pulls her hand away and says, "Alright, then, I'll leave you to finish helping Grams." I shoot her a reassuring smile as she closes the door once again.

"Grams, what is going on?" I demand as politely as possible. She is now securing a string of pearls around her neck, but seems to be struggling with the clasp of the necklace. I walk over and take the ends from her hands, finishing the task myself.

"Thank you, Willow," she says, beaming at me proudly. "Your kindness and willingness to help others never ceases to amaze me." I feel my face heat up at her compliment and can't help but smile back at her. I want answers, but it seems that Grams has no recollection of the past few minutes, or even this afternoon for that matter.

I'd have to find the answers myself.